• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 01:12:24 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Co2 Tanks - Where to get them in Belfast

Started by phildo79, October 09, 2018, 12:35:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

Not sure if NIFEX does it anymore. Speak to Eamonn at Gas Tech & Gear.

phildo79

phildo79

Quote from: sub82 on October 16, 2018, 03:31:49 PM

Cheers mate. I'll drop him an email.

Lawrence22

Quote from: sub82 on October 16, 2018, 03:31:49 PM

They have the same address as NIFEX. Are they not the same?

Roo

I think they are rival family members but I'm not sure. I get mine from Eamon....on the left as you go in.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

phildo79

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. Much appreciated. Met Eamonn earlier today and he sorted me out with a 6kg tank that fits perfectly in the fridge. Seems like a decent bloke. He talked me through the hooking up process and offered me some extra bit of kit, should I have needed it.

Roo

Did he ask you for a beer the next time you refill?
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

phildo79

Quote from: Roo on October 18, 2018, 08:18:33 AM
Did he ask you for a beer the next time you refill?

He certainly did! I wonder how long it'll take me to get through 6kg of Co2 though. He might be waiting a while on that beer.

Will_D

Quote from: phildo79 on October 18, 2018, 01:10:02 PM
He certainly did! I wonder how long it'll take me to get through 6kg of Co2 though. He might be waiting a while on that beer.
About a week if you don't check for leaks and just leave the bottle on when you are not pulling pints.

Do a leak test:

Bottle on. Check the pressure gauges: [Contents and dispense pressure]

Turn off the bottle and monitor the pressures. If you loose pressure in less than an hour then you have a leak.

24hrs then you have a tinny leak

A few days then you are prolly ok to leave the bottle on. BUT only if you are pulling pints daily
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

phildo79

Cheers for the tip there, Will.

I didn't tighten the regulator enough first time out and I think the thread around the valve has frozen. I couldn't close the valve or open it any more. And when I say open, all I got was less than half a turn. The PSI gauge is at zero and the other gauge says 45. This happened late last Thursday and I didn't get a chance to look at it again until last night. Both gauges still say exactly the same thing. I will try to close the valve completely when I get home tonight but it might be a case of bringing it back to Eamonn so he can have a look at it.

Maybe it has a faulty on/off valve or maybe I've bodged it by not fully tightening the regulator first time out. But once I tightened the regulator, I was able to seat the corny keg lid at 30 PSI and vent the oxygen a few times.

DaveG

NIFEX showing as permanently closed on Google - not sure what the story is there as I filled up a few months back.  How much do Gas & Gear charge for a fill?

phildo79

Quote from: DaveG on October 23, 2018, 01:03:52 PM
NIFEX showing as permanently closed on Google - not sure what the story is there as I filled up a few months back.  How much do Gas & Gear charge for a fill?

Depends on your size of tank. A 6.35kg tank is £20 for a refill.

Bazza

Was planning a trip up that direction for a fill soon, so my question is, if I roll up into that same yard with an empty tank will someone fill it with CO2 for me? It's almost an hour's round trip for me, and time is money :P

Who was the grizzled middle-aged guy who filled the tanks? Is that Eamonn? For some reason I thought he was called Charlie. Either way, he's a character.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

DaveG

He was great craic.  Always going to his caravan in Omeath to get lit.

Bazza

Quote from: DaveG on October 23, 2018, 01:54:20 PM
He was great craic.  Always going to his caravan in Omeath to get lit.

You want to be up there on a Saturday morning before 12pm closing. He's still on his Friday night out :)

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx