• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:12:16 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Great Irish Kveik Off

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), April 09, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CH

That should be possible they are being produced this week and I will start first deliveries next week. Can you act as drop point for Capital? As the weather is warm going to try and get as many as we can chill delivered so that everybody is at the same start point.

Remember folks this is a robust yeast that can ferment between 18-35.
My understanding is that it lends itself to bringing out fruit profile and so NEIPA. Tropical Stout or even an APA
Fishjam can you throw your 2p in here based on your own experience to help others?

Finally anybody that can't brew can you please let us know at the point after you receive your yeast, it will allow others to enter where we have a waiting list.
We are keeping a few spare vials for just that purpose and to keep everything simple only the organisers will facilitate that activity.

Jonnycheech

Quote from: CH on July 11, 2019, 10:13:18 AM
That should be possible they are being produced this week and I will start first deliveries next week. Can you act as drop point for Capital?

Yeah sure, no problem.
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

fishjam45 (Colin)

Quote from: CH on July 11, 2019, 10:13:18 AM

Fishjam can you throw your 2p in here based on your own experience to help others?

In short, you need to do the opposite of what you would normally do with a standard ale yeast  ;)
Underpitch it in a big enough starting gravity of around 1.050 or higher and ferment it at 35 degrees is what I've done.
It lends itself particularly well to any hop forward beers. I reckon it would work well with a kettle sour or even a tropical stout also. It will ferment out in around 3 days but you will need to leave it in the fermentor for a little longer if you are dry hopping.

That's all I can think of now. If anyone has any questions about the yeast just ask.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

Simon_

Might be one for the company but does it cause Bio-transformation with dry hopping in the same way only certain yeasts do? Conan, London Ale III,...

fishjam45 (Colin)

Good question, it has crossed my mind alright too. I've asked Philip.
Garden County Brewers

Pheeel

I tried making a neipa with the Hornindal and it didn't taste like it :(
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Thewicklowhopscompany

You will see some biotransformayion if your making something really hoppy especially if you dry hop during active fermentation. 

Was that with the Bjorn strain? Was it lack of fruity esthers or something else?

Philip

Jonnycheech

Does dry hopping at 35C change anything compared to a lower temp for dry hopping?
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

molc

Quote from: Jonnycheech on July 13, 2019, 10:42:05 AM
Does dry hopping at 35C change anything compared to a lower temp for dry hopping?

Exactly my concern as well! :D
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

helmet

Quote from: molc on July 13, 2019, 01:30:10 PM

Exactly my concern as well! :D
Do you hold it at 35 the whole way through primary/secondary or can you let it drop after primary fermentation is done?

fishjam45 (Colin)

I've held it at 35 all the way through.
Reading online, some breweries have dropped temps to around 29 for the dry hop.
Garden County Brewers

fishjam45 (Colin)

Yeast will be heading out in the next few days folks ..... 
Garden County Brewers

JohnnyJohnJohns

I've read online and noticed myself that dry hopping at high 20s+ doesn't extract as nice a flavour from the hops. Personally I'd skip bio transformation hop and just dry hop at a more normal temperature after fermentation has completed.

ac13

Just wanted to say thanks to those involved in the organising of this comp. Got a text today for my address and had yeast in my hands 2.5 hours later. Seriously impressive.

helmet

Fair balls to John, got the nod earlier for hand delivery of Wee County's yeast!