• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 11:24:37 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Regulator Buying Advice

Started by bighoppapump, June 18, 2020, 10:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bighoppapump

I'm in the middle of getting everything together for a kegerator build and I've sourced a 5KG CO2 tank from AJEdge. HBC is sold out of regulators right now and there's a month's delay on anything I'm looking at on Amazon. I'm looking at ordering this one from iedepot but am not sure if it will fit the tank I'm getting from AJEdge.
https://www.iedepot.ie/co2-regulator/

Does anyone know if this regulator will suit my needs? I'm also a bit concerned that the picture shows AR/CO2 printed on the reg. Does this mean it is a mixed regulator and should be avoided?

ac13

That reg looks fine to me.

This is out of stock but its what I use with AJ cylinder with no issues. Connection should be pretty standard for a CO2 Tank

bighoppapump

Cheers for the info ac13. Think I found an issue with the one I'm looking at - the psi reading on the primary gauge is in increments of thousands rather than 10s so is probably not fit for the purpose I need it for.I did find a more expensive model on malt miller though that I may end up going with.

RedWino

I actually got this regulator from iedepot last week, now fitted to a 5kg tank from AJ Edge - no hassle.

You're looking at the tank side, which goes up to very high pressures.
The look is slightly different from the website, but service side goes from 0-6 bar (outside scale is bar, inside scale is psi).

The I can post a picture later, if you'd like.

bighoppapump

That's great new Redwino, thanks! I'll place an order soon then.
I'm still trying to get my head around all the moving parts and am following the how to guide on the brewwiki here - https://www.nationalhomebrewclub.ie/wordpress/guide-to-corny-kegging/. Were you able to attach a John Guest fitting to the gas out part of the regulator or did you have to use the barb with a hose clamp? I'm hoping that the regulator will take the JG fitting like in the wiki.

RedWino

I just used the barb with hoseclamp and 6mm braided hose, also from iodepot.

The barb can be screwed off. I guess it would take the John Guest fittings, but haven't tried so not sure. The outer diameter of the male thread is around 12mm. 

nigel_c

I gave up on JG fittings. Barbed fittings for all my taps and gas now.

bighoppapump

Cheers for all the advice guys. I ended up buying the regulator from iedepot. Looking forward to getting the first draft flowing!