• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 18, 2024, 10:45:30 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

bar set up.... direction required .....

Started by newToBrew, July 22, 2020, 02:24:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newToBrew

hey Guys, so I have the makings of a bar - just need to put it together and fine tune it - first time back after a few years ..... pulled the toys down out of the attic !
2 taps - couple of kegs - dual reg - 2 line beer cooler that works

so I was just gonna build a plywood box bar on wheels with beer towers and have everything in it

- attached is an image of my last brew  experiment -
what I found was that the beer in line was pretty much wasted between weekends - who wants to drink a pint of warm beer that's been sitting in a tube for a week ?

my lines are probably too wide - I think so need a smaller diameter line  - i need reducers as the connections on the cooler are larger than the keg & tap
.. but I get lost here with the options

this would probably reduce the amount/waste in the lines - but to what degree ? I have an issue wasting something I made and (im) patiently waited for ! 
- between the line from the keg to the cooler to the tap thats  still a  bit of a loss

so I started wondering about Keezers - presuming all lines and everything are internal so cold all the way
( also where is link to the keezer build ? - I'm sure I saw it somewhere but cannot find it )

.. what would you do if you were me ....... :-)
coz theres always something new to do

Pheeel

I built a keezer. I wouldn't do it again. Freezers are designed to be frozen and if you increase the temp you end up with a lot of condensation. Plus you have to lift full kegs over the lid. A fridge is a better option IMHO. You can either put a tower on top or taps out the front

BTW I went and bought a kegerator. It was nice enough that it's (mostly) wife approved
Issues with your membership? PM me!

TheSumOfAllBeers

I use a keezer haven't done any DIY to it- just picnic taps and the co2 bottle is kept inside.

To deal with condensation/mold growth you need to use something else to dehydrate it. But the condensation/mold can be tolerated and dealt with.

Full 20L kegs otoh are a pain to move in and out without extra assistance (pulleys etc)

newToBrew

what do you guys use for temp control I have an stc -  figured I'd just use that - but without any "warm" option
just wire it to turn on the freezer if the temp raises ?

DEMPSEY

You might consider your neighbours wheelie bin. He doesn't need it.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Pheeel

Quote from: newToBrew on July 23, 2020, 10:16:17 AMwhat do you guys use for temp control I have an stc -  figured I'd just use that - but without any "warm" option
just wire it to turn on the freezer if the temp raises ?

Junk the STC and get an inkbird. I've had two STCs crap out. Inkbird is plug and play

newToBrew

Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 23, 2020, 02:27:36 PMYou might consider your neighbours wheelie bin. He doesn't need it.

Quote from: Pheeel on July 23, 2020, 06:55:45 PMJunk the STC and get an inkbird. I've had two STCs crap out. Inkbird is plug and play

... that bad huh ?

Quote from: patk46 on July 24, 2020, 07:20:28 AMThere's the ITC one which is an inkbird branded version of the STC isn't there?

i see  these 2

ITC-308

Inkbird ITC-1000

the Inkbird ITC-308 looks fairly foolproof....

so back to the start here - do any of you guys run coolers ? - I found the one I have very noisy ! - its probably ancient though and if you do - have you had  similar issues to what I outlined ? how did you over come them ?
I guess a thinner line & a few john guests would sort the issues 
anyway have an old chest freezer there so if nothing else I can throw a keezer together and just compare both systems for myself

Pheeel

308 is the one I have

Those beer line chillers aren't whisper quiet. They don't need to be. They are meant to sit in a cellar

newToBrew

Quote from: Pheeel on July 24, 2020, 09:01:20 PM308 is the one I have

Those beer line chillers aren't whisper quiet. They don't need to be. They are meant to sit in a cellar

do you find you lose some beer to the lines if its intermittent usage ?
if so is it much ? how did you combat it ?

Pheeel

Quote from: newToBrew on July 25, 2020, 01:26:34 PM

I wouldn't use a chiller as you'll def get beer loss. I'd go with a kegerator

newToBrew

Quote from: Pheeel on July 25, 2020, 03:13:53 PM
Quote from: newToBrew on July 25, 2020, 01:26:34 PM

I wouldn't use a chiller as you'll def get beer loss. I'd go with a kegerator
I misread your 1st post - thought you had a chiller - realised you were referring to the inkbird

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Pheeel

I actually do have a chiller but I never pulled my finger out to use it 😂

newToBrew

Quote from: Pheeel on July 26, 2020, 10:07:20 PMI actually do have a chiller but I never pulled my finger out to use it
I was the same - been sitting there with years!

newToBrew

Quote from: Pheeel on July 26, 2020, 10:07:20 PMI actually do have a chiller but I never pulled my finger out to use it
I was the same - been sitting there with years!