• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:10:34 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Still fermenting

Started by Jamesbil, March 13, 2022, 08:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamesbil

Hi all,
I have an IPA on the go in the fermentation bucket. After 14 days its still bubbling.
Also I haven't quite emptied the corny keg its going in.

Will it be ok for a few more days?

Thanks
james

Slev

Quote from: Jamesbil on March 13, 2022, 08:23:07 PMHi all,
I have an IPA on the go in the fermentation bucket. After 14 days its still bubbling.
Also I haven't quite emptied the corny keg its going in.

Will it be ok for a few more days?

Thanks
james

In my experience, you'll be fine. I usually leave mine for about 3 weeks. But, could be a bit longer or a bit shorter (usually depending on when I need the fermenter back!)

But just for context:

Did you add a dry hop addition(s) ? If so, how many days ago (loose? Pellets?) Also,what was your OG (is it a big beer)? And what yeast (dry, liquid with/without starter) ? Lag in start of fermentation? Are you controlling the temp of the fermenter? If so, what temp are you maintaining, if not it in in a warm/cold environment?

There could be a number of reasons for still seeing bubbling after 14 days (could be as simple as due to change in pressure in the location where your bucket is.)  taking gravity samples and verifying that that is no change over 2/3 days will tell you that fermentation has completed ( however, if you are not set up to take samples, you risk introducing O2 etc.) But if you are kegging, there's much less consequences to transferring even while fermentation is still on going (some folk prefer this, as it will help prevent oxidation of the beer).

But long story short, no, you'll do it no harm leaving it for another wee bit (that is in my own opinion. Also, note-that I've never gotten overly grassy notes from leaving dry hops in over a week - but that may just down to my own palate)

Jamesbil

Great thanks, I went ahead and kegged last night.

Dry hops yes, pellets in a bag about 6 days ago.
I never take OG or SG readings, I know, I should, but I can never work out how to read the darn thing.
Can't remember the yeast, whatever came in the mangrove jacks ipa twin bag kit.
It is in a room about 21-23c.

I force carbed this time and primed the extra bottles.

Thanks