• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:08:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Source for Glycol

Started by figr0ll, April 23, 2013, 01:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

figr0ll

Anyone know where I could find some propylene glycol? I bought a second hand chiller and want to make sure it's all topped up before using it. I'm in Limerick if it matters.

On a side note, what would be the danger of using the non food grade stuff. Surely the glycol is never in touch with the beer?

Ta.

figr0ll

It says 50:50 glycol and water. I might try Halfords and see what their options are. Thanks.

figr0ll

No good with the car antifreeze. Checked a few places and they all seem to be the more harmful ethylene glycol.

Will_D

Depending on how cold you want the fluid to be fluid at you could use saturated brine solution ( salt n water!! )

Some of the cheaper car A/Fs add methanol! All these are fine as long as they don't leak!!

Also need to check what tubing to use?

@Ciderhead: Tekky plastic tubing questions!!

Is PVC safe? What about the PP used in Pythons??

Next time I see the G or H service engineers will ask about what they use
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

If your tubing is fully transparent and does not collapse on crushing, chances are its PVC, which contains a plasticiser. There is only one plasticiser approved for medical and food approvals, 14 have been removed for food contact applications. My advice go with food grade silicone tubing.
Pythons use food grade LdPE for beer transference and Nylon 12 tubing for the glycol line. The latter chosen for its chemical and temperature resistance is not available to the general public.

Will_D

Thanks John for the response.

BUT I know a man who knows a man who knows a company that can spell Python in many export languages!

Lads:

Anti freze is used in car engines. Most contain copper radiators so just make you heat ex. coils out of 8 or 10 mm copper tubing.

Simples.

10 m of copper is probably cheaper thhan 10mm of FG silicon!

figr0ll

Quote from: Will_D on April 23, 2013, 11:30:23 PM
Depending on how cold you want the fluid to be fluid at you could use saturated brine solution ( salt n water!! )

Some of the cheaper car A/Fs add methanol! All these are fine as long as they don't leak!!

Also need to check what tubing to use?

I am dying to test out the chiller and had thought of salt water but I might just wait until I source some glycol. I'd be worried that some internal parts would get corroded.

The chiller came with a tap and a python of tubing. I will reuse the glycol ones and swap out the beer line for a new one.

Will_D

I have bought stuff from these guys: good shipping to Dublin, Fasta and reliables

http://buychemicals.ie/products/propylene-glycol-bp-usp-pg-mpg

figr0ll

Thanks. I was trying to get it locally just so I could get the chiller working but have given up and ordered from that site. I went with the technical grade propylene glycol as it was a bit cheaper. Free delivery as well which is rare these days.

Will_D

Excellent news They do sell some useful chemicals!! ;)