• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:18:19 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Swing Tops

Started by Will_D, February 06, 2013, 02:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

February 06, 2013, 02:37:10 PM Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 02:37:40 PM by Will_D
The intro postings from fizzypish got me thinking:

Are swing tops safer than crown caps.

I can see that the pressure required to pop off a crown cap would be massive and the bottle would break first!

But what about the swing top? Would the pressure escape past the rubber seal?

Remember I am not talking of a leaky seal and not getting any carbonation.

Has anyone first hand info on potential bottle bombs in swing tops venting excess pressure?

Has anyone suffered a swing top bottle bomb?

If no answers forthcoming then someone will have to do a hydraulic test!!

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Shane Phelan

I overcarbed an entire batch of coopers European lager with a mix of swing-tops and coopers plastic bottles. Some of the swingtops showed evidence of a some liquid bubbling/seeping out between the seal and the bottle/white stopper. This happened on 5 or 6 bottles but they were still massively carbonated, i.e. they sounded like a champaign bottle when popped. None of them broken.

The coopers bottles were solid as a rock with the only difference being that the cap was bulging at the top when compared to a different batch.
Brew Log

Shanna

Hi Will

all of the swing tips I have filed over the last three months have sounded like champagne bottles being opened. thankfully none have any signs of leakage or breakage. I get the feeling those rubber seals are pretty tough specially when the porcelain lid is being held in place by two metal rods.

Declan
Cornie keg group buy organiser, storeman & distribution point
Hops Group buy packer
Regulator & Taps distribution point
Stainless Steel Fermenter Group Buy Organiser
South Dublin Brewers member