• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:59:42 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Re-using a keg as a fermenter

Started by Will_D, February 19, 2013, 08:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

February 19, 2013, 08:05:59 PM Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 08:08:05 PM by Will_D
About time I moved this over to the NHC from another well known site:

How to remove the spear from a S-Type Sankey keg as used by Heineken, Coors Light ( stumpy 30 l kegs ), Stella Artois etc in a non-destructive way so that it can be used for dispensing/fermenting/lagering etc:

Here's what the fitting looks like:

I made the following tool:

The hole is there if you need to poke a small screwdriver into the keg, but for these fittings this is not necessary. The bolt could have been central

DEGAS the keg before proceeding!!

Tilt the keg at an angle and push down on the centre with a screwdriver or drift to let the gas out. If not tilted then you will get wet!!

Now loosen the fitting with a basin wrench or whatever that will engage the two lugs.

Then fit the tool:

And screw the bolt in about ¾ of an inch. This flips the safety catch out of the way and you can then remove the spear

In order to disable the catch for future use get a short length of ¾" copper pipe, debur it and it will just slide up the tube, and under the catch just enough to disable it in the future. A drop of super glue fixes it in place:

Otherwise just cut it off with an angle grinder!

The beauty of this method is that the keg can then be used as a fermentor – just need this from the homebrewcentre:

And later you pop the spear back in and it behaves as a normal keg.

No need for the tool any more

To clean the kegs I use a 6 foot length of brass chain swirled around with the cleaner. Alternativley use a pressure washer to get to the botton of the keg where most crud/beer stone builds up

Cheers

Will
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

alealex

You can also do this with 2 flat screwdrivers, but this device look really professional and far handier. Using 2 screwdrivers is nearly like breaking safe lock, you need to be sensible. Re-use is the way to have it, not only the keg but tool as well.
Bad day brewing is better than good day working.

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

I did it in a slightly different way but the same end result.
Alas I can't use this in my new place due to space.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

Will_D

QuoteI did it in a slightly different way but the same end result.
Alas I can't use this in my new place due to space.

Thats the only way so far I know how to strip a G. keg.

I will need more research!

But at the moment if any one wants to get into an S-Type keg, send me a pm, pop over to Malahide, and it will be opened before your eyes!

Bottle or two always appreciated!

Greg2013

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Saruman (Reuben Gray)

Sometimes in someone's backyard where they have been sitting for years. In a ditch or dump somewhere.
Even those have questionable legality.
If you want to be 100% sure, I'm sure you can ask one of the breweries to sell you one that's a little beat up or a shiny new one on their next order.
Reuben Gray

The Tale of the Ale - My blog about beer

DEMPSEY

Good idea not to mention here or anywhere else on the web that you are using a keg that its history is not clear. All kegs are somebody's else's property and advertising it on the www that you are using one might come back to bite you in the future. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Bogwoppit

Hi Will

Where did you get that bung from?

I've looked up the homebrew company and homebrew west but no joy.

Thanks

Bw

Will_D

Quote from: Bogwoppit on September 25, 2013, 10:43:10 AM
Where did you get that bung from?
I've looked up the homebrew company and homebrew west but no joy.
They are not in stock at present!

cruiscinlan

Does anyone have the width measurements for the opening of the U-type keg, as in the width across the crowbar (wonderbar?) tool that Saruman was using above?