• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2024, 06:10:20 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Hops suggestion

Started by Bacchus, May 22, 2013, 05:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bacchus

Hi Guys hope this post finds you all well.

I`m planning to do a brew tomorrow..a pale ale and was wondering if anyone has any suggestion for hops I might use. I have a few bags of hops here..Amarillo, WGV, goldings and fuggles. I normally use fuggles and goldings in a pale ale but fancy trying something different. I`m even toying with the idea of adding crushed coriander seeds in the boil ( not my idea, came across it in a recipe ).  Any suggestions woul be gratefully recieved.
                                                                 Take care guys

Veni, Vedi, Ego got ebrius - I came, I saw, I got drunk

matthewdick23

how many of each hop do you have? how strong is ur beer going to be and how much of it are you planning on making?

RichC

I love Amarillo for late and particularly dry hop additions

Bacchus

I`ve got 100g goldings, 80g amarillo and about 40g of fuggles and wgv. I`m aiming for around 5 to 5.5% and and brew length 32 ltrs. I was up at natures way yesterday to get some crystal malt and had a look at the hops and they weren`t stocking many hops...goldings, wgv and hallertau that was about it, mind you, they never do do a big variety of hops.

I`m a big lover of amarillo myself.

Bubbles

If I had that choice, I'd go for a single hop Amarillo ale every time.

Bacchus

I think i`m going to go the amarillo route here`s the recipe, any suggestions welcome : 6kg pale ale malt, 500g medium crystal...mash 1hr.  Boil 1 hr..50g amarillo 60 mins...40g fuggles 15 mins from end, 1 1/2 tspn irish moss 15 min from end. safale 05

I thought about adding the fuggles, basically to use them up as i`ve had them in freezer for a while. But what does ya think?

Ciderhead

Would you not use the fuggles as bittering and Amarillo as flavour/aroma?

Bacchus

Yeah I could do, nothing is written in stone. The A/a for the amarillo is 10.9%, don`t know the a/a for the fuggles as it was packaged by/for Youngs and for whatever reason they don`t give the a/a on their bags.

Ciderhead

somewhere in between these 2; 3.5 - 5.5%

sub82

You could also do a 5min from end hop addition and a 0min from end addition to get extra aroma in!