• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 08:47:12 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Pliny The Elder (And general Double IPA tips)

Started by Bill_00, May 31, 2013, 09:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill_00

So the Homebrew forum in work brought the following article to my attention!

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/0000/6351/doubleIPA.pdf

The official Pliny the Elder recipe for homebrewers. However it also goes into some pretty interesting depth on how to go about brewing a Double IPA.

That is an HUGE amount of hops.

matthewdick23

yeah, iirc their dry hoping schedule is mental.

lets do it as a club. im up for it.

i did a 'clone' of dogfishs 90 min. brought it to first meet up. have a bottle or two left. was pretty nice, but used bags for the hops so lost a lot to that i think.

Bill_00

Would certainly be a bit of a statement beer to take to the next brewday at the Hudson if we could do that one in advance somewhere.

Bill_00

Though it's also pretty expensive to just go and share with any old punter!

Bazza

That's one tempting looking recipe! Pretty cool that you have a homebrewing club in work. Couldn't see our lot going for that unless they could write the beer in Java  >:(

I love the Dogfish 90 min. Can't believe it: the last time I was in the States you could get a 6 pack of it for about 4 bucks in the local Shaws. Scandalous!

Quotebut used bags for the hops so lost a lot to that i think

You saying you dry-hopped in muslin bags, Matthew? I tried that for 2 brews in a row earlier this year. Never again. Both ended up infected, even though I boiled the sh1t out of the bags beforehand. One brew was still drinkable but the other (The London Pride sample I brought to the brew day) was drain feed. Nowadays I let the little buggers roam free in the fv and just suffer the syphoning pain.

I'd be on for a iipa brew day but we'd have to either brew a smaller batch, or be a bit stricter in our process (though I'm still proud of our first brew day effort; still getting nicer).

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Bill_00

I'm the only one in Belfast that does it....however working at Intel allows for a slightly wider net to be cast...mostly guys in the US

matthewdick23

barry- no i bagged the hops in the boil. terrible decision as i used so many hops. continually hopped the beer over 90 minutes. was a pita.

thats a crazy price for 90 min. they musta made a big labeling mistake in the shop to sell it at that price. i still have some real 90 minute left at home i think from the states.

Bazza

I think a lot of can be down to luck, i.e. the quality of the hops you happen to get. You get bags where the hops regain their perfect cone shape and swim around with dizzying aquatic majesty as soon as they hit the wort. Then you open another bag of the same variety and it's like the sweepings from your back yard after a storm i.e. all brown and leafy and showing no discernible quality save for clogging everything up.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bill_00

My hop basket worked pretty awesome for the boil there at the weekend.

The convection in the boiler made sure it got cycled around the wort pretty good. Probably need an additional one though, only good for 30g or so of hops

Bazza

You got a link to where you got that hop basket? I've a hop strainer for my boiler, so no issues there, but I'm always on the lookout for something decent for dry hopping. I would rarely dry hop above 30g.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bill_00

May 31, 2013, 12:28:18 PM #10 Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 12:46:07 PM by Bill_00
http://www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%BCchenprofi-1099902810-Spice-Ball-10-5/dp/B000NLO0CA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1369999446&sr=8-4&keywords=spice+ball

I bought that one, but any big Spice Ball/Tea infuser you can find would do the job. Whether buying a load of smaller ones would be more cost effective, I'll leave up to you

Our boiler drains painfully slowly so we tend to do a straight pour after cooling, this was pretty handy

steveb

I brewed this a few years ago and it was really amazing. Yeah, the amount of hops is incredible. I dry hopped in an carboy and it looked mental, like a beer with a huge green hop head. I got a bottle of genuine Pliny for comparison, but it couldn't hold a candle to the freshly brewed version. God knows how long it spent on the boat, etc. Definitely the freshness is really important with these hop monsters, even after a month, my Pliny had lost a lot of it's hoppiness.

Will_D

Quote from: Bill_00 on May 31, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
So the Homebrew forum in work brought the following article to my attention!

So what's the polite way to say"Pricked my attention all right - ye have a forum at work for HB!!"
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

sub82

That recipe sounds great! Would love to do an iipa.

Irish Party Ale

Great recipe - now I know what Im doing for my next brewday!