• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 29, 2024, 06:54:45 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Spreadin' the word

Started by iain_todd, June 04, 2013, 10:42:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain_todd

May have two new recruits for us, fellow yeast-pitchers. I'll bring 'em to the next night (provided it's the 21st!)

Also, I was leaving the Maggie May's near the Bot wearing my National Homebrew Club tshirt and a guy stopped me and started asking me about it.

Turns out one of his friends was at the last one there for the first time, so unfortunately I didn't know who he was talking about!

But pretty cool, eh? Looks like the Belfast branch is becoming the branch to beat!
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bazza

Good free advertising there, Iain. I keep getting stopped and asked about this 'Tesco' place I so boldly laud on my recycled carrier bags.

Looks like we could have a reasonably healthy turnout at the next meet.

Also, I know not being a brewer doesn't preclude you from the meets and I have approached a few mates about coming along some night but they either prefer their lager or express fears about turning into one of the Viz Real Ale Tw4ts. Responding that I'm actually a Craft Beer Tw4t doesn't help.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Bill_00

Homebrew seems to increasingly be something that gets the reply of "I wouldn't mind giving that a try".

I think if we were to take a proper sample brew to the next brewday we do at the Hudson to show what the end result it gonna be, you'd get a surprising number of takers.

I'm sure we could knock up something out of a kit aswell to show people the difference and to take away the equipment fear beginners can get.

iain_todd

Haha! Brilliant. Yeah I've been saying that as well to people. I figure the more the merrier, and we can always hope to convert them. Plus if we bring a decent crowd to the Hudson, it reinforces that letting us hold the meetings there is mutually beneficial.
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

sub82

Quote from: Bill_00 on June 04, 2013, 11:38:24 AM
I'm sure we could knock up something out of a kit aswell to show people the difference and to take away the equipment fear beginners can get.

Definitely - think some of the other clubs on here have done 'kit hack', showing how to improve a kit and getting used to adding grains and hops.

Bill_00

Could inquire with Get 'er Brewed about getting a kit at cost in return for a bit of free flyer handing out...

Also, if the Hudson would allow us an A4 flyer could allow us to get more people specifically interested as opposed to just chancing across us

sub82

June 05, 2013, 08:06:32 PM #6 Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 12:31:05 PM by sub82
Nice one! Yeah we've been doing a bit of flyering.