• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 07:42:54 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

A low cost CP Bottle Filler

Started by Will_D, January 25, 2013, 02:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will_D

At last here are some photos of the low cost ( €3 ) Counter pressure bottle filler.

Basically it a stainless tube which fits into my Guiness tap ( thats the black nozzle at the end. The o-rings are to seal it.

There is a drilled rubber bung to fit the tube tightly and then a much smaller hole is drilled for the "friend" (this is the inflater you get from sports shops to put air into footballs).

In use you adjust the bung so that the tube goes to the bottom on the bottle.

The Corny or keg is set to about 5 psi or so.

Bottles have been chilled.

With the left hand, push the bottle onto the bung, finger over the friend.

Right hand opens the beer tap bottle fills to about a third full and should then stop. If it contines to fill you have a leak. Sort out the leak!

Assuming all ok, gently release gas from the friend till the bottle is full. Close tap, quickly remove bottle a cap it or close the swing top.

Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

JimmyM

January 25, 2013, 02:57:57 PM #1 Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 03:11:04 PM by JamesM
Thats cool will...
HOw does the spout from the guinness tap not slide along the stainless pipe? Do you have an oring under it we cant see or is it just snug?
Where did you get the orings?
Formerly JamesM.

Will_D

The black plastic (from the G tap) bit is a tight sliding fit on tge ss tubing (pure luck!).

The photos show a stack of o-rings. These sit down on the inside of the spout (where the G sparkly widget bits are) and when its tightened onto the threaded metal bit of the tap they are compressed and so lock and seal the SS pipe.

The pipe will only enter the tap so far and the rings just seal it all up.

The rings came from my "big box of o-rings" that I bought in Lidl Germany a long time ago!!

IsMise

That looks great Will, seen it in TOG last ime but didnt get a chance of a demo, i'd really like to see that awesome piece of kit in action... Hope you have the patent for it  :)
Didnt see the benefit in the last beergun group buy, (100 plus euro) but i think i could squeeze €3 out of the bank manager  :D
That is the biz!!!

IsMise

Hi will, just checking, where did you source the ss  tubing from and what diameter? Is the bung the same as for a 1 gallon demijohn or is it a specific available size? Next step is to pick up the bits and makeone myself   ;)

Ciderhead

That looks really good ans simplest ideas are often best, but won't the ref be looking for his needle inflator for Sundays match?

Will_D

QuoteThat looks really good ans simplest ideas are often best, but won't the ref be looking for his needle inflator for Sundays match?

Our pitches are closed coz' of flooding!!!

Ps: We do tend to get through a LOT of these!

Hop Bomb

Would the SS dip tube from a 50L keg be too large to use for this? (im in work so cant check til im home later)
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

DEMPSEY

The dip tubes come in different sizes from different kegs. A Heino one is around 20mm and a guinness one is 15mm.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Hop Bomb

March 27, 2013, 08:25:02 PM #9 Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:31:32 PM by Hop_Bomb
Balls. Opening on a bottle is 20mm. Will have to get it from something else. Cheers.

Will_D

PM Dempsey - for his build I think he had to buy some stock lengths of tubing ( SL: 6 meters )

DEMPSEY

Hop Bomb

What outer diameter tube did ye use lads? There is an ebay seller in UK that does half meter of SS tubing for 12 euro delivered. They've a few different outer diameters.

Thanks

DEMPSEY

10mm is fine,cost approx 40euro for 6M.

Hop Bomb

Could I make an immersion chiller out of the leftover SS tube? Whats the heat transfer of SS like compared with copper? Waste of time?