• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 06:06:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Next Belfast Brew Day - Equipment Build

Started by Bazza, June 18, 2013, 10:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Yoyoyo an' ting! (some street talk there)

For our next Belfast brew day (date TBD) we're playing with the idea of, instead of (or as well as??) doing a brew, we'll share some tips, techniques or efforts on DIY equipment building.

One piece of equipment that has been mentioned more than once now is a copper wort chiller. So if anyone's familiar with the old 'how to twist 10m of copper pipe round a tall paint tin without causing a kink in the pipe' trick and are happy to do a demo then let us know.

If you can think of any other pieces of equipment you'd like help to build, or would like to share the knowledge, then post a reply and we can get some sort of list together for the next brew day.

I'd say we're safe to have a beer or two on the day, as long as we're not operating any power tools, high voltage equipment or a forklift.

Anyway, keep the ideas coming.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

iain_todd

No idea what a sparge arm is, but def up for the wort cooler
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

matthewdick23

wort chiller
stir plate
convert 2 kegs I have into a hlt and mash tun

we should do this one at someones house I think

Bill_00

Stir Plate for me!

Possibly a proper dry hopper

Bazza

QuoteNo idea what a sparge arm is, but def up for the wort cooler

Remember on the brew day all the malarkey with the tinfoil with the slits on top of the grain bed and the endless pouring of jugs of water onto said tinfoil? Well the sparge arm saves you all that effort. It connects directly to your hlt tap via a piece of flexible tubing and sits over the grain bed evenly distributing water over the top of the grain bed through a perforated copper pipe. You can get fancy rotating ones for use with circular mash tuns but I've read most of them are shite.

+1 on the stir plate, Matthew.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

mr.drankin

What is the deal with these group buys?? How often do they get organised ? 
Cheers

mr.drankin

iain_todd

Nice one Bazza, so do you still do the same technique - sparge a bit, rest a bit, strain and repeat? Or does this enable it all to be done as one continuous flow?
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bill_00

QuoteYoyoyo an' ting! (some street talk there)

Makin' a bad ting good

Bazza

QuoteOr does this enable it all to be done as one continuous flow?

Continuous flow, Iain. I guess I should have clarified that it's for fly sparging only.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

QuoteMakin' a bad ting good

Fo' real!

South(Belfast)side!

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

iain_todd

Hi Bazz-Meister.

Does that not mean its not as efficient as the other method, if there's not enough time to convert the remaining starch etc?

Bazza

QuoteDoes that not mean its not as efficient as the other method, if there's not enough time to convert the remaining starch etc?

The opposite, Iain. Generally fly sparging would be regarded as more efficient than batch sparging, since you're properly rinsing the grains with a constant flow of water after mashing. But it's all down to how well you execute either method, really; one man's batch sparging method may be more efficient than another man's fly sparge. In small-scale brewing there's probably very little in it and what method you use is down to personal preference.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Iain - yeah we use the batch sparge method as we found inconsistencies, most likely due to inexperience, when attempting to fly sparge.

Bazza

QuoteBTW, if you're looking for conicals, a group buy is the way to go. They're a third the price they are anywhere else.

I assume, Shane, by 'conical' you're referring to the little glass flasks and not the cool ss fermenters? Now there'd be a group buy I'd be interested in :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx