• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 08:17:15 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Chorizo

Started by admin, July 03, 2013, 10:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 04, 2013, 11:47:03 AM
Any decent sausage is at least 1/3 fat. I've tasted sausages which claim "80% lean". Not worth eating. The fact is undeniable, Good food needs fat and salt. If you want to reduce your fat and salt intake it's simple. Don't eat so much! I'd rather eat one good sausage than two crap ones!
Just like beer!

This is true, whack a sausage into a George Foreman and you'll see just how rubbish they are without the fat.

Padraic

Mmmmmmmmmm chorizo. I generally eat it as my healthy option, I find a small bit of chorizo sliced and quickly fried lobed into a salad makes it a lote easier to bare the greens stuff!

But there is a law that is often applied to bacon that could be expanded to include chorizo...

Eoin

I love a bit of Chorizo in a tomato based pasta sauce, it is delicious stuff. Superquinn have nice chorizo in their deli, the soft stuff.

ColinC

+1 on the chorizo in salads.

My favourite is a few slices of chorizo fried dry. When the oil runs throw in snippets of bacon.

For the girlie salad bit chop up a baby gem lettuce, tomato, cucumber, onion, fresh (not pickled) beetroot & cube feta cheese. Add the chorizo & bacon then stir it through & spalsh on some good balsamic vinegar & top with pine nuts or sesame seeds. Its an excellent warm-ish meaty man salad!  :P

Eoin

Nothing wrong with salads, I'm a huge fan myself and yet I am still attracted to women and was able to father two children, go figure ;)

christhebrewer

My favorite chorizo (in this country) Is in Lidl. I take the wrapper off and hang it in the fridge for a couple of weeks to dry a bit more and it's actually very good. Great in a soup or just on it's own. We always have a Lidl salami in the fridge too.
I'd love to have a go at making some cured, dried sausage. Anyone tried it?

Bubbles

I normally get the M&S one, cos it's handy. Good flavour, but you have to watch the salt when you're cooking with it, as it tends to be quite salty to start with.

The Gubbeen one is superb, but it's smoked and has quite an acrid note to it - so you have to be careful about what you use it in.

Eoin

Quote from: christhebrewer on July 04, 2013, 04:07:31 PM
My favorite chorizo (in this country) Is in Lidl. I take the wrapper off and hang it in the fridge for a couple of weeks to dry a bit more and it's actually very good. Great in a soup or just on it's own. We always have a Lidl salami in the fridge too.
I'd love to have a go at making some cured, dried sausage. Anyone tried it?

I like the lidl one, but it's a different style, I prefer soft chorizos personally.

LordEoin

This may seem wrong, but cut medium slices and throw them into the microwave until they become crispy.
It doesn't take long and is awesome.

christhebrewer

"This is true, whack a sausage into a George Foreman and you'll see just how rubbish they are without the fat."
[/quote]

You have a George Foreman? And are willing to admit it??

Ciderhead

Last nights boiled new potatoes, fried in a hot pan with Chorizo for lunch yum.

irish_goat

Ah here, I don't own the grill myself. I have been living with girls the past 5 years so there's always been a George in the house. Think I've used it twice.  :P

DEMPSEY

Quote from: irish_goat on July 06, 2013, 10:24:57 AM
I have been living with girls the past 5 years
So whats the rules regarding the toilet,seat up or down. :)
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

irish_goat

Quote from: DEMPSEY on July 06, 2013, 12:48:00 PM
Quote from: irish_goat on July 06, 2013, 10:24:57 AM
I have been living with girls the past 5 years
So whats the rules regarding the toilet,seat up or down. :)

My ma already beat that rule into me.  :P

mr hoppy

July 07, 2013, 04:43:47 PM #29 Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 05:30:30 PM by mr happy
Iago cooking chorizo in the english market  :P (salivating)