• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 21, 2024, 12:22:50 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Ginger Ale

Started by blackheathbrewing, August 02, 2013, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackheathbrewing

still working my way through the last lot of this ginger ale. Goes down well on a hot sunny day if we get any more of them!

600g root ginger, grated
juice of 3 lemons, rind of 1
juice and rind of 1 lime
1 stick of cinnamon,
20g cascade,

All into a hop bag and boiled up for 60 mins

Chucked in 800g of brew enhancer I found in the cupboard about 10 mins from the end

Cool and chuck into the fermenter, bag and all, with a can of extra pale LME. Top up to 20L, had planned on this being a smaller batch to start but with this much fermentables it would knock me flat!

Set some white labs Irish ale yeast to work on it for a couple of weeks, then bottle n enjoy  :)

Metattron

It's the future, I've tasted it!  :)
In primary:
In secondary: Wine, Melomel
In keg: Teddy Hopper, Coconut stout, 4 Cs, Buzz bomb, Never Sierra, Bock, OD
In the fridge: Helles Lager, Hob Gob

Greg2013

i have tried two different versions of ginger beers now Black and they were both very cloudy. Did this ine turn out cloudy for you?
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

blackheathbrewing

I'm looking at one right now and its not see thru! Kinda looks like a weis if I'm being descriptive

Greg2013

Quote from: blackheathbrewing on August 02, 2013, 11:22:58 PM
I'm looking at one right now and its not see thru! Kinda looks like a weis if I'm being descriptive

That is exactly how both mine turned out, the one in the keg now is even cloudier. I am putting that down to the fact that i pulped the root ginger with water in a blender first to get better utilisation. May just rough chop it next time?  :-\
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

irish_goat

Nice recipe. A few more spices and maybe a bit of dark malt and you'd have a nice winter beer I'd say.

blackheathbrewing

Quote from: irish_goat on August 03, 2013, 05:54:37 PM
Nice recipe. A few more spices and maybe a bit of dark malt and you'd have a nice winter beer I'd say.

now there's a very good idea. Might have to get going on that once the nights start to draw in again. Maybe even split it and do different spices in each  ;D