• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 02:34:47 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

September Belfast Meet - Brew Day at the Hudson?

Started by Bazza, September 02, 2013, 12:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrewBilly

Baz, I would be keen to join in splitting the brew. Let me know if there is anything other than the crystal malt and fuggles that I can bring.

Cheers
Andy

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

Bazza

Thanks, Andy. Think that's us sorted for ingredients.

There's one other thing - would anyone be able to bring a no-rinse steriliser solution like Vidiene or similar? I only have VWP, but think it'd be handier if we had the no-rise for the fermenters.

Also, anyone else wanting to split the brew?

So our definite headcount so far for Saturday are:

Andy
Shane
Matt
Iain?
Dave (aka DRankin)
BelfastBrewer (football permitting)
Barry

Am I missing anyone?

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

i have videne. i leave for dublin friday afternoon- could leave stuff at side of house for u barry if you want?

Mattyblade1

Only have VWP myself... Count me in to be there though

Bazza

Quote from: matthewdick23 on September 25, 2013, 11:21:01 AM
i have videne. i leave for dublin friday afternoon- could leave stuff at side of house for u barry if you want?

Cheers, Matthew. Might try and get down to you on Thursday for whatever, though the boiler & gas seems not to be needed unless there's more interest in a bigger batch.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

Got a call this evening from Johnny from Hudson and it's all systems go for Saturday's brewday :)

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Bazza

Okay, so unless anyone replies before this evening with a strong desire for a cut of the brew, we'll plan to do a 23L brew using my electric boiler setup and split it 2 ways between Andy and myself. But there'll be plenty of bottles of the finished brew appearing in subsequent Friday meets over the coming months (assuming it turns out okay, that is).

I'm planning to be down the Hudson before 12 on Saturday and hoping to mash in before 1. Probably just do a 1-hour mash like before, as I've no way of getting my brewfridge down there to keep it warm for 90 mins.

A 1-hour boil will do us too.

I'll bring my boiler, hlt, mash tun and sparging setup, cooler, hose and fermenter.
I'll also be bringing pale malt, chocolate malt and bittering hops.
It goes without saying that I'll be bringing a huge thirst, and only a small portion of that will be for knowledge  ;)

Andy, you still okay to bring crystal malt, goldings, fuggles and your (empty) fermenter?

To anyone else coming along, please feel free to bring along any sample brews, ingredients, or equipment that you want to show off. There'll be plenty of time during the brew for chat, drink, arm wrestling and comparing whippets.

I'm intending to make up a washed Nottingham yeast starter on Saturday morning to pitch when I get home Saturday evening, but if anyone feels like donating a yeast or other finishing hops to either half of the split brew then please let me know.

Think that's most things covered. See you all on Saturday :)

@GetErBrewed  - Do you think you'll be able to make it down any time on Saturday for the proceedings? I remember you expressing an interest when we spoke at the Hilden Festival.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

@geterbrewed

Barry,

We are off to Germany for the weekend, so we can't make it on this occasion, if you guys need anything for the brew just drop me an email, I'll sort it out for you.

Regards

J
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

BrewBilly

Bazza - Yes I am still ok for the crystal malt and fuggles. I will also be down at about 12 to give you a hand.

I am not sure which yeast to use, got some US-05, could possibly pop into upper newtownards road and see what else they have, possibly S-04 or other???

If anyone else has a yeast they would like to try I am open to options - I dont fancy winsor ale yeast, I wasnt to pleased with how it settled in the bottles.

I also have samples of Cider , Pimped up Stout, and Golden Ale.

Proposed discussion at the meeting: A club cider competition to be held next year some time.

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

Bazza

Hi All,

Really sorry to land this on you, but I just got word this evening of the death of a close family friend.

The funeral's on Saturday morning in Scotstown, Co. Monaghan, so there's no way I'll be able to make the brew day.

I was going to bring a fair bit of equipment down to the Hudson on Saturday, so I was wondering would anyone else be able to fill in, to make the brewday go ahead? I could try and lend out some stuff but there'll be a very tight window to do this as I'm heading down the country pretty soon after work tomorrow for the wake, but let me know and we'll see what we can do. I can also re-post the recipe, scaled down to 23L.

I really hope we can still make Saturday happen but if we can't I think it's only fair that I let the guys at the Hudson know.

Cheers and once again apologies.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

BrewBilly

Hi Bazza

Sorry to hear about your friend.

I dont think I would be completely comfortable taking on a whole brewday as I havnt done my own 1st AG brew yet and so propose postponing the brewday until October - let me know your thoughts? Unless someone else steps in to oversee the brewday I will then be able to lend a hand. Another proposal is to still let the meeting go ahead but just to have some drinks and sample some homebrew?

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

Mattyblade1

Bad news about your mate Bazza. Sorry to hear the news...

I'm keen to go down and have a chat and sample if that's what's the census is...

Everyone's thoughts ???

Bill_00

I think giving it a skip is probably for the best.

Sorry to hear of the loss Barry

Bazza

Hi guys. Thanks for all the kind words. Feel bad for letting everyone down, but  it's one of those situations where it'd be bad form not to go to the funeral.

Judging by the responses it looks like we'll have to postpone the brew day. I'll start a thread for a new date in October. I'm conscious of the time changing at the end of October, so we can't push it out too late.

Andy has suggested turning tomorrow into a regular meet, for samples and the like. Would that be a go-er?

Anyway, thanks again.

-Barry

― Groucho Marx