• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 16, 2024, 08:19:01 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

10L Oak Barrel

Started by sub82, September 30, 2013, 08:49:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

We have been given a handmade 10L oak barrel as a present and would be keen to get it up and running for an Xmas beer.

Does anyone know what we need to do before a beer can go into it. I know it'll need to be soaked in water to swell the wood but what is the next stage? Does it need sterilization or should it be filled with a strong beer?

Can it be used multiple times to age different beers?

Thanks,

Chris

Will_D

Has the inside been charred?

It is specifically for wine storage?

Has it been varnished or oiled on the outside or just natural?

Assuming its OK to fill with beer/wine I would first add about 5 liters of water with about 4 campden tablets disolved. Give the cask a good steeping for a few days then drain, rinse and fill.

Fill with what? You may as well use what you intend to fill it with. New casks will impart a strong flavour quickly to a beer/wine so keep testing. As the cask matures the flavour impact will be lessened.

If you want to store the cask empty for periods of time just filll ( and keep full) with water and add a couple of CTs.
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Rossa

Sounds like it's not suitable. I'll look after it for you>:D (that is meant to be a devil)

sub82

Quote from: Will_D on September 30, 2013, 09:43:27 AM
Has the inside been charred?

It is specifically for wine storage?

Has it been varnished or oiled on the outside or just natural?

I don't know but will ask.

The people who ordered it for us know that we brew beer and had it purpose built for beer storage/serving.

I would say it is natural - there appears to be no surface treatment.

Quote from: Will_D on September 30, 2013, 09:43:27 AM
Fill with what? You may as well use what you intend to fill it with. New casks will impart a strong flavour quickly to a beer/wine so keep testing. As the cask matures the flavour impact will be lessened.

If you want to store the cask empty for periods of time just filll ( and keep full) with water and add a couple of CTs.

Sounds good - we'll maybe split a batch between a carboy and the barrel for flavour comparison.

sub82

Haha Rossa - that's awfully considerate of you!

sub82

Just on the charred question - is it necessary for it to be charred/toasted or is that more to do with personal preference for the final flavour profile?

Will_D

Its a whiskey thing!

New American white oak casks are always charred ( as are beer casks ) it allows the staves to be bent ( from the heat ) but also it will then impart a certain flavour to the contents.

It is not a big deal but if you can look inside the cask with a small torch and you may see that it is charred.

You cannot make a trad. cask without some form of heat!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

sub82

Ah cool - thanks Will! It's currently sealed but I'll find out from the maker.

Greg2013

Quote from: sub82 on October 01, 2013, 07:44:07 AM
Ah cool - thanks Will! It's currently sealed but I'll find out from the maker.

Maybe when you are asking the maker you could provide us here with there details as i am sure some of us would be interested in some of these, i know i wood  :P
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

sub82

Definitely! I'll get on it and get some details.

sub82

Just thought I'd post a picture of the keg. I should have more details by the end of the week.

sub82

Yep!  ;)

Definitely the most original present we were given!

sub82

irish_goat

Where is the opening? Can't seem to see one in the photo other than the tap.

sub82

Yeah - there isn't one yet. The wooden tap is only for display so we've to let him know what we want and he'll put it in for us.