• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 20, 2024, 02:41:55 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

All grain start up equipment

Started by Roo, October 20, 2013, 08:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

Right let me see if I've got this right. If im using gas I need:
1. 33l stainless steel pot with hop strainer and tap.
2. Themos Mash tun with tap and strainer.
3. Sparge arm that fits above.
4. Wort chiller.

I was looking at this website

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=STA20246061

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=BRU20123122

http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=INS20027722

£200 all in what do you think?

Might as well get Christmas sorted.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Eoin

Or replace 2 and 3 with a BIAB bag and some insulation for your pot a lot cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One

sub82

Quote from: Eoin on October 20, 2013, 09:06:11 PM
Or replace 2 and 3 with a BIAB bag and some insulation for your pot a lot cheaper.

Sent from my HTC One

Yep - that's what we use!

matthewdick23

u dont nec need a wort chiller or sparge arm to start AG with

Bazza

Yeah, ditto on the sparge arm. From what I've read, that particular one is pretty crap, and only works with circular-shaped mash tuns anyway . As you saw yesterday, I just went down the DIY route. Might look like feck all, but it works fine and only cost about a fiver to make - less if you know a plumber.

There's been talk a few times about having an 'equipment build' club meet some day. If I remember right, a wort chiller was by far the most popular thing folk wanted to make, so I'd hold onto your money and see if we can resurrect that whole plan for the near future.

In the meantime, winter's just round the corner, so you should have no problem cooling wort for the next few months.

Good price on the pot (oo-er, sounds like a post for a different forum there :)  ). What's the delivery charge?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Roo

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Baz I really liked what I saw yesterday and am dead keen on getting started. I hadn't considered the BINB route. Im sure its a good option. £11 delivery for the heap which is why I was sticking to the one website. So if I get the pot and a big muslin bag that should be enough to kick start me.
About the wort chiller.... I thought it was essential to drop the temp quickly to avoid issues.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

RichC

Check out nochill on the us or Aussie forums. I've been very tempted to try it,even bought the container but my main concern is the timing of late HoP additions and loss of aroma/flavour. The guys on biabrewer.info swear by it. If your on a budget I'd say BIAS with nochill is the cheapest way to go AG

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

Eoin

Quote from: Razzer35 on October 20, 2013, 11:45:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. Baz I really liked what I saw yesterday and am dead keen on getting started. I hadn't considered the BINB route. Im sure its a good option. £11 delivery for the heap which is why I was sticking to the one website. So if I get the pot and a big muslin bag that should be enough to kick start me.
About the wort chiller.... I thought it was essential to drop the temp quickly to avoid issues.

Muslin will work for a few brews and then it'll rot. Use Swiss voile curtain material.

Sent from my HTC One

matthewdick23

razzer- my mash tun cracked today- a coolbox. sucks but means im forced to complete my upgrade now

anyways, i have a tap and filter for a cool box, ur welcome to it and if ur handy enuf should b simple to fit into any coolbox

Roo

Quote from: matthewdick23 on October 21, 2013, 07:00:23 PM
razzer- my mash tun cracked today- a coolbox. sucks but means im forced to complete my upgrade now

anyways, i have a tap and filter for a cool box, ur welcome to it and if ur handy enuf should b simple to fit into any coolbox

that would be very kind of you matthewdick23. I live in Ballymena so it might be easier to see you at the next brew day. It will be Christmas before I am going grain.....I hope

Paddy

Hey Razzer35

I'm new to the forum but been brewing for a while. Used to brew with a muslin bag myself which worked a treat for starting out with AG.

It's better to cool your wort fast but if you don't want to fork out for micro bore to build a chiller (which can be quite pricey) you can boil some water, allow it to cool (keep it covered), then freeze it in freezer bags.  After the boil chuck it into the wort and it'll cool down pronto.  You just have to be sure you don't put in too much ice :)

Starting out a boiler, bag and FV is all you really need.  Just a tip about muslin/nylon/curtain bags, make sure it isn't too fine as this will help with heat distribution.

Hope that helps.  We buy pots from a French supplier.  Got a 100L stainless steel pot from them this summer.  Came to £55 including p&p which I thought was a steal.  Will hoke the link out if anyone is interested.

Roo

Cheers Paddy have been itching like mad to get my kit sorted. Not really keen on doing the bag stuff after reviewing it. I found a few youtube videos on how to build a  sparge arm and wort chiller that looks like even I could do it. Saw a 33l cooler on amazon for £20 which I think is pretty easy to convert to a tun. And matthewdick23 has a spare tap and filter. The website you mentioned sounds great so ill take the link if you can hoke it out. The electric boiler is the one im not sure about. I dont fancy a diy job on electrical stuff so im happy to pay for it but was wondering what brand is best from all thr brewers experience. Electtim or Brupaks?

kaipee

@Paddy I'll like to have a look at that site too. I live in 3rd floor apartment so don't really have anywhere to brew - I'm pretty much stuck having to do BIAB and am looking for a smaller pot (prefer smaller brews, plus probably safer for the stove top lol).

Quiet_Man

Razzer,

I had the same issues about electrics, so opted for gas. Haven't looked back.

Andy

Roo

Quote from: Quiet_Man on October 27, 2013, 09:24:21 PM
Razzer,

I had the same issues about electrics, so opted for gas. Haven't looked back.

Andy

only concern with gas is that the hoppy smell us men love may not be favourable to my good lady and I may well be banished to the garage which is why I have thiught about one of those buffalo tea urns