• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:29:33 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best option for grain?

Started by Roo, November 07, 2013, 12:13:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

Right so far I have the homemade manifold done, coolbox almost converted, Buffalo Boiler to be delivered Friday, wort chiller homemade done, spare arm to be homemade after my wee trip to Old Trafford this weekend. Next I am looking at grain. Who do you all use for your grain, hops and yeast? And is thrre a CO-OP for bulk buying....plus any ideas on a basic IPA with Hoptimum flavour for a first batch?
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

matthewdick23

im loathed to give advice to a utd fan...

...but. check out the group buys for malt and hops- a malt one is just finished and a hop one is just beginning

are you a member?

ColMack

I find the Homebrewcompany.ie to be very good all round on price, selection, delivery and service.  They also have a sterling website homebrewcompany.co.uk.
The group malt and hop buys are obviously best for bulk purchases (you have to be a paid up member though to avail).

Roo

Must get my membership sorted anyways...thanks .
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Will_D

Quote from: Razzer35 on November 07, 2013, 06:14:55 PM
Must get my membership sorted anyways...thanks .
That will then get you 5% discount with our online suppliers :)
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Ciderhead

Best way to secure grain hops or anything on here is to become a member and organise or take part in a group buy.

Bazza

Quote from: matthewdick23 on November 07, 2013, 08:30:15 AM
im loathed to give advice to a utd fan...

Just spotted this. Nice one Matthew, it made me smile.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Paddy

November 11, 2013, 10:22:45 AM #7 Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 11:37:10 AM by Paddy
I also use homebrewcompany.ie and highly recommend.  They charge around £5 on delivery no matter the size.  This is great for heavier purchases so its best to get a few things together.  It's obviously not so good if all you need is a small bag of specialty malt and some rubber grommets :P (Added as per Irish Goats post below - they will deliver smaller items using the Postal Service if emails/phoned).

They don't always have everything in stock but they offer a great service and generally get stuff to you pronto.  They use DPD so you need to be there to sign on delivery.

Not a member of anything myself but 3 buddies and I get together on the same orders to buy in bulk and save on p&p.

Just had 35KG of MO arrive actually. It worked out at just over half price compared to buying 4 smaller batches separately.

I know you specifically mention grain but I can also recommend http://www.simplyhops.co.uk/ for hops bulk buys.

They often have specials on last seasons hops and you can get a big bag for close to nothing.  We recently got a 5KG pack of Cluster from them for £20.

That's a steal considering the price of 100g of hops.  So worth a look ever now and then.

Repackaged them up on Saturday night so I can confirm that although being harvested in 2011 they are still great quality (were vacuum packed/frozen). Perfect for buttering.  Just brewed Porter with them so will keep yall posted.

Be warned 5KG of hops takes up a lot of space! :)

irish_goat

Quote from: Paddy on November 11, 2013, 10:22:45 AM
It's obviously not so good if all you need is a small bag of specialty malt and some rubber grommets :P

They'll use An Post for smaller packages if you email/phone them.

Paddy

Quote from: irish_goat on November 11, 2013, 10:24:46 AM
Quote from: Paddy on November 11, 2013, 10:22:45 AM
It's obviously not so good if all you need is a small bag of specialty malt and some rubber grommets :P

They'll use An Post for smaller packages if you email/phone them.

Good to know! Thanks for the info Irish Goat.

Just shows how awesome the folks at homebrewcompany.ie really are :)