• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 03, 2024, 12:05:41 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

wine barrel

Started by matthewdick23, November 19, 2013, 09:53:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewdick23

so some of the southern rascals are in early chatting mode about getting some wine barrels

is anyone from belfast area interested?  I'd love to get one, but they're big, so wondering if anyone wants to get in on it?

matthew

sub82

Yeah - would definitely be interested! What would we put in it?

matthewdick23

the world would be our oyster chris...

sub82

Haha! Yeah defos - what sort of volume would we be looking at?

Dunkel

Standard size wine barrels ("barriques") hold 225 litres. Other sizes are available, but this is the most common size.

Bazza

I'd be up for that.

Any idea where we'd be storing it?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

not really barry- i have room in the garage but it gets freezing in there, so prob not best

any thoughts anyone?

Paddy

Would need one helluva brew to fill it up ;) Maybe someone out there is friendly with a pub with spare room in their cellar?

matthewdick23

we'd all brew the same recipe and come together to fill the barrel.  my proposal is that we all sample each others beer before putting it in the barrel to make sure its good beer going in (getting ahead of ourself here, but thats how itd work)

wouldnt trust a bar with this bad boy at all. i could possibly use a room in my parents- we'd need to look into what kind of conditions we need in the place where we are going to store it

matthew

Bazza

Quote from: matthewdick23 on November 20, 2013, 09:53:08 AMi could possibly use a room in my parent
I could move my kids' bunk bed into the box room, toys in the attic, lift the carpet, probably paint over the pink wallpaper. perfect! Kids have it too good these days as it is.

So, if this barrel has a 225L capacity we're talking about 10 5 gallon brews, maybe 11 if some of us are throwing a 19L corny's worth into it.

The pre-fill tasting session should be fun :)

Any makings of an idea of style yet (and I'm not asking do we have to all turn up in chinos or something)? Something porter-ish, perhaps?

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

id say itd depend on what kind of barrel we get barry

white wine- id suggest something like a belgian golden strong or a saison maybe
red barrel- could do anything

id love to eventually sour the shit out of the barrel. but once we did that, we couldnt go back. maybe the belfast lot should get two barrels...

matthewdick23

Right, looks like Tubo has sourced them

100euro. Ill collect it.

If you put your name in here, you're committing to splitting the cost of the barrel. equal split of beer

1.Matthew

Quiet_Man

matthewdick23