• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 02:14:05 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best Slow Cooker Recipes

Started by Bazza, December 12, 2013, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

Best ever proper ragu recipe (makes 8 servings)

Ingredients
800g good quality minced beef
200g pancetta/smoked streaky bacon (diced)
2 large/3 medium carrots finely diced
3 stalks celery finely diced
2 medium onions finely diced
300ml red wine
300ml milk
90g double concentrated tomato puree

Method
Fry the pancetta/streaky bacon for about 4/5 minutes then add the veg and fry for a few more minutes, then remove.
Fry up the mince beef until brown, then add the veg/pancetta mix
Add the wine and tomato puree and fry for about 5 minutes again. Then add the milk a bit at a time while frying away for a few more minutes.

Bung it all in the slow cooker on slow for about 6 hours and serve with tagliatelle. Can be frozen as well.

I'm drooling typing the recipe!

Bazza

That looks effing amazing delzep. Never would have thought of using milk in a bolognese recipe. It WILL get made!

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

delzep

Bazza

Quote from: delzep on December 13, 2013, 11:25:39 PM
Its Ragu...not Bolognese.... :P

Semantics, semantics. What do they really matter? I'm from Tyrone; I'll just be f**king it onto a pile of spuds.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

delzep

I was told that in Bologna so it stuck with me

Eoin

Easy enough really, look up a few recipes online mix them together to taste, roast the spices and then horse them into the coffee grinder, you can use mortar and pestle too but it takes ages. I have a recipe that I use downstairs that's a mish mash. I have a well stocked Indian spice cupboard which I completely refresh about every 18 months.

Sent from my HTC One

Eoin

Conor

I'm a big fan of slow cooked food.. tho only got a slow cooker the other day! Normally use oven or smoker.

Anyway, one of my favourites is Mexican Pulled Pork. Very easy and cheap.

for  6-8l slow cooker

3-4kg trimmed + quartered pork shoulder
1 chorizo sausage ring, chopped.
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2-3 red/orange/yellow peppers, sliced
8 cloves garlic
50g chipotle sauce (smoked chillies cooked with tomato puree, vinegar.. available in sainsburys. you can make your own if you can get smoked chillies)
small tin of tomato puree
1l ham stock
1tbs dried oregano
2tbs vinegar
juice 1/2 lemon
1 tbs sugar
chilli powder to taste

Gently fry off the onions, garlic and peppers in a little oil. Add the chipolte, tomato puree and vinegar. Cook for a few mins. Add the pork, chirizo oreganoo, lemon, salt, sugar, pepper. Mix well, add hot ham stock to cover. Place on low or medium setting until tender.

Remove the meat pieces and roughly shred with a couple forks. Return to the sauce. The shredded meat will soak up the delicious sauce. Puts the Boojum pork to utter shame. Serve as a burrito.

Danny(00833827)

gonna dig out my slow cooker after reading thru this!
Ferm.: Pear Wine
Cond.: Cider
Bottled: Helles Lager, Pumpkin Ale
To Brew: Ginger Ale

lordstilton

This is a super curry recipe.. I use a tin of toms instead of fresh ones http://www.instructables.com/id/desi-murgh-curry/?lang=en

Conor

Did lamb rendang in my mum's slow cooker over Christmas.  Unbelievably divine. Cant remember how I did it.

Going to try my old (well, Madhur Jaffrey's)  faithful lamb rogan josh in the slow cooker.

Eoin

I do all my Indian curries fast, it's one of the fastest dinners I make, that said not using lamb. If I use lamb I do it low and slow in the Karahi. Might try a curry in the slow cooker using lamb shoulder sometime.

LordEoin

2 liters of coke, 1 large onion chopped up, a ham.
yummee!

delzep

LordEoin

You're going to be dumping the liquid after anyway.