• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 12:02:43 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Best Slow Cooker Recipes

Started by Bazza, December 12, 2013, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delzep

I find I only use around 300 - 400mls

LordEoin

smaller slow cooker, bigger ham, or no sweet tooth...
They're the only reasons I can think of  ;D

delzep

LordEoin

I brought one to the folks at christmas dinner and everyone loved it. I scored it, shoved some cloves in, glazed with golden syrup, roasted for a while to get it sticky. Lovely!

I made another recently just slow cooked and it was still great :)

DEMPSEY

I would boil the ham first then remove from water and jab in cloves under the fat and finally use ham glaze smothered all over and into the oven.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Eoin

Whilst on the subject of ham....not slow cooking....I picked up a jerk seasoning from Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver (mixed up) that I use on my Xmas ham, it's also great on chicken. It burns though so you need to like the aul spice.

The following recipe is for jerk chicken but the marinade is good on ham too, boil the ham, then marinade overnight and then oven cook. Use a meat thermometer, in case you need to be told :)

Right lads, I was asked for this recipe. It's loosely based on a Nigella Lawson  recipe mixed up with some authentic ones, but it hits the spot in any case as you'll all know.

You will need to use your own cooking knowledge to fill in some of the gaps, knock yourselves out.

Jamaican Jerk chicken. Best made a day in advance to marinate.

Chicken pieces of your choice, I like legs or thighs, breast gets too dry too fast.

2 tsp ground allspice

2 tsp dried thyme

2 tsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp ground ginger

2 tsp ground nutmeg

2 tsp ground cinnamon

3 whole cloves

4cm/2in piece fresh root ginger, peeled and cut into chunks

2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar/ or any dark or brown sugar

A shot or two of dark rum ( I used the last of my captain morgans spiced in this one as I had no dark rum)

Juice of 2 limes

A shot of soy sauce

Half a cup of cider or white wine vinegar

Whole scotch bonnet peppers to taste, 6 at least.

1 onion, peeled and quartered

6 spring onions

4 garlic cloves, peeled

There are two options for jerk chicken, either skinned and done in the home oven or with the skin left on and done on a barbecue. The home oven just won't get it crispy enough if you leave the skin on.

Add all ingredients above to a food mixer and blend to a pulp, add more liquid if it's too dry, that's it for the seasoning, it's not accurate so a bit more or less of this or that is no issue, I normally do it all by eye.

If you are doing it in the home oven then peel your chicken pieces, I prefer not to use breast as it gets too dry too fast, but if you can get breast on the bone or a whole chicken then go for it.

Once peeled then you need to cut some deep slashes into the chicken pieces to let the sauce in and also to let the heat in to cook them better.

Once peeled then put them in a bowl and pour the jerk seasoning over the top, if you have rubber gloves then put them on and get your hands in there and massage the seasoning into the chicken, if you have no gloves then do it at your own risk.

Once covered in seasoning cover the bowl with clingfilm and put it in your fridge overnight if possible, but at least 2-3 hours.

After an overnight marinade then heat your oven to 200c and put the chicken in there to cook, this is where your own judgement comes in, depending on chicken pieces etc it's up to you how long you cook them for, I take no responsibility for your inability to cook chicken. To give an idea, I did the chicken drumsticks for the competition for 40 minutes at 200C, too long and it will get dry, use your own judgement.

Rice and peas

Serves 4(generously)

2 cups rice

1 can of coconut milk

1 can of kidney beans or black eyed peas, chickpeas will also do.

3 cloves garlic

1/2 onion finely diced

2 sprigs of fresh thyme

1 Scotch bonnet

2 spring onions.

2 tbsp olive oil for frying

1 rinsed out coconut milk can of water

1/2 Chicken stock cube

1/2tsp black pepper

salt to taste, wait though because stock can be salty so add at end.

Heat the olive oil in a pot then add the chopped onion and sweat for about 2-3 mins then add the garlic and sweat making sure it doesn't burn.Throw the rice in on top and fry in the onion for about a minute similar to risotto, but not as much.

Once sweated then throw in a can of coconut milk fill the can then with water and throw the can of water on top too. Then add the rest of the ingredients apart from the chili which you will cut almost in half and then throw in, you need to fish this out afterwards. You need to do the same with the spring onion, smash them a little to allow the flavour out and then add  for the boil but fish out afterwards. Same for the sprigs of thyme.

Cook until the rice is done, again, use your judgement on this one, I can't teach you in two lines how to cook rice, you may need to add more liquid, use your own judgement.

Enjoy.

LordEoin

Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 31, 2014, 10:45:31 AM
I would boil the ham first then remove from water and jab in cloves under the fat and finally use ham glaze smothered all over and into the oven.
That's pretty much it, but in coke instead of water

Danny(00833827)

stuck a Ragu on there before lunch for my dinner tonight -

500gms Round Steak - cubed 2-3 cm pieces
50gms Pancetta
3 sticks of celery
3 carrots
1 onion
2 cloves of garlic
bunch of fresh basil, a little sprig of thyme, pinch of oregano, couple of bay leaves
1 tin of chopped tomatos
2 glasses of red wine
Dash of Worcestershire sauce

Fry the meats and garlic till beef is browned then remove, fry the veg till softening then add the meats, tim of toms, wine and herbs and season well.

Lid on - stick it on low for 6-7 hours - the idea of using un-minced beef in the slow cooker is that with time it will shred apart.
Enjoy with a bit of pasta and parmesan over the top.

To save on the washing up i did the frying in the removable crock pot bit of the slow cooker, just took it out and put it on the gas- i would think once you are not going too hot with it, should be ok
Ferm.: Pear Wine
Cond.: Cider
Bottled: Helles Lager, Pumpkin Ale
To Brew: Ginger Ale

Eoin

That sounds really good.

Sent from my HTC One

johnrm

Blueshed

going to purchase a slow cooker this week, what would you recommend.

DEMPSEY

This is the recipe for pulled pork that I saw on telly hosted by the fabulous Baker Boy's. They made the marinade using a bottle of SNPA.

1 large joint of pork, such as a hand of pork
For the marinade

2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp smoked paprika
2 tbsp olive oil
1 whole bulb of garlic, crushed by hand
Plenty of fresh thyme
Plenty of fresh rosemary
2 big pinches of salt
1 big pinch of pepper
330ml bottle American pale ale
Homemade pittas, to serve
Method

Put the pork into an oven tray. Start by scoring the pork along the skin as if making crackling.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together in a bowl then cover the pork in the marinade. Rub the sauce and the garlic into the scored slits in the meat and leave the to marinate overnight.

The next day preheat the oven to 240°C/gas mark 9. Put the pork into the oven for 20 minutes or until it gets a great colour. After 20 minutes take the meat out, cover it in tin foil and put it back into the oven at a cooler 140°C/gas mark 1 for 8 hours to slow roast. Eight hours later it should pull from the bone and be lovely and tender.

Cut the pittas open down one side and fill with pulled pork. Drizzle some of the marinade sauce over the top and serve with coleslaw.

delzep

DEMPSEY

Yes the hand of pork is basically the shoulder of the pig. :)

Will_D

Quote from: delzep on February 02, 2014, 04:27:16 PM
A hand of pork?  ???
And to tenderise it you "beat the meat" for 30 mins  ???
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing