• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 04, 2024, 01:38:45 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

5 Minute stir plate

Started by Ciderhead, December 16, 2013, 07:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciderhead

December 16, 2013, 07:59:48 PM Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 08:24:19 PM by CH
Ok I needed to do 2 brews at the same time a couple of weeks back and wanted a stronger stir plate for my bigger 3l starters

Take a standard computer fan from eBay or an old computer

Screw in 4 woodscrews which are marginally thicker than the locating pins

Get yourself some magnetic adhesive metal strip cut to length and attach to rear of fan

Buy some small extra strong magnets from eBay and place at either end of your strip, try and ensure they are equidistant from the centre, I have stacked 2 to improve magnetism because of the monster stir bar but I tried a pair on their own with a smaller bar and they were fine.

Get yourself a variable transformer and connect it to wires of your fan

Now the tricky bit, it my case I used a piece of Perspex but thin timber or any thin sheet of plastic would do and rest on top ensuring you have a uniform gap

Some Ribena in to illustrate vortex, remembering that the trick is not to beat the crap out of it just to keep your liquid yeast in suspension.

9v setting for smaller starters 12v for larger ones
Bigger distance you have between your magnets and stir bar will lead to stir bar flying off, use the screws to get to the correct height.

johnrm

How do you get stuff shipped on eBay in 5 minutes?  >:D

I have a few banana shaped magnets from trashed Hard drives.
Super strong, I have still to complete my build though :-[

beerfly

nice, was thinking about doing a similar post. only got as far as afixing the magnets so far. a bit longer then 5 mins :P

Greg2013

Any links for that transformer ? Where did you get the perspex? Cheers for this, so simple when you see it done like this.
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

johnrm

Maplin (a bit pricey) do that sort of stuff.
You should be able to get them on eBay.

Greg2013

Cheers CH i had everything except the transformer. ;D
"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet."  Gen. James 'Mad Dog' Mattis USMC(Ret.)

Ciderhead

imark

Ditto on hard disk magnets. I use an old 9v power supply. Also, any old CD works great in place of perspex. They're my tips if you want to keep it real cheap and upcycle.

Ciderhead

Old cd is clever and would work, not sure it would be big enough for 3l flask tho?

imark

johnrm

imark