• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:21:05 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Good pizza recipes

Started by admin, January 06, 2014, 12:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

Anyone got any?

If so post up, and if there are any ingredients that can't be had in Supervalu, please post up where to get them!

TheSumOfAllBeers

Screw recipes, get yourself a pizza stone. Even the cheap 10€ ones in Lidl/Aldi are great.

The GF makes mighty pizzas, using a home made tomato base (hint: onions and tins of chopped tomatoes), proper dough base, and mozarella balls. Go sparing on the toppings and stick to the classics. Perfect stone baked pizza.

irish_goat

Black budding, goats cheese and very thin slices of potato are lovely on a pizza.

Hop Bomb

Ive been keeping a portion of my sour dough aside for pizza bases & I was baking on a piece of liscannor slate haha. That cracked & broke yesterday though so Il have to get another or else get a proper pizza stone.

For the sauce I chuck a few real nice cherry tomatos (real flavorsome ones) in to a blender, salt, oregano, garlic clove or two, smoked paprika & some tomato puree. Whizz it up & lash it on. Cheese, onions & lots of meat for toppings.
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Ciderhead

Large terracotta tile unglazed cut to the size of your oven would work well too.

Eoin

There are two guys on tv who do pizza tips, they run a pizza stand in UK.
They said the perfect sauce was made from just a tin of some Italian sweet tomatoes, the name escapes me now.

So for my sauce at the weekend I simply used a tin of tomatoes, squeezed by hand and skins removed seasoned with salt and pepper, a tiny bit of oregano and basil and a drop of olive oil.

That was it for a sauce and it was great.

Damien M

If you put a shmere of Olive oil on the dough before putting  the tomato sauce etc  on it helps to keep the moisture out of the dough allowing it to fluff and puff up!! 

Bubbles

Quote from: Eoin on January 06, 2014, 01:27:44 PMjust a tin of some Italian sweet tomatoes, the name escapes me now.

San Marzano?

Eoin

Quote from: Bubbles on January 06, 2014, 02:41:39 PM
Quote from: Eoin on January 06, 2014, 01:27:44 PMjust a tin of some Italian sweet tomatoes, the name escapes me now.

San Marzano?

It could be, the only thing is that those guys said that the skins are left in because they are so thin.....and I'm not sure that correlates with San Marzano, but all things considered they're probably the ones.

tpc2001

I make pizza all the time at home, great way to use up leftovers. Couple of thoughts:

--Great reuse for sausage, bits of ham, lamb, old hamburgers, aged cheeses.
--Helps a lot if you can get the oven up over 250 c. My oven goes up to about 290 c. which is perfect.
--regular pesto works great for a "green" pizza, instead of tomato sauce.
--Sicilian pizza using a cookie sheet or a bread pan. Easy handling if you don't have a stone and a pizza peel.
--raw pizza dough can usually be purchased from places that make pizza. It freezes really well.

Sorcerers Apprentice

I use an olive oil bread recipe, basically 700 g strong white flour 1/2 level teaspoon salt 10g sugar 50g butter 1pkt fast acting yeast 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and 350-400mls of warm water. In a large bowl Soften the butter and rub into the flour sugar salt and yeast.make a well in the centre and add oil and most of the water. Mix to a loose dough you can add more water or flour if necessary. Leave rest covered for about 5 mins then knead for 10 mins, great stress therapy.. Makes about 8 portions, separate them into balls and give them a light coat of olive oil. You can put them in plastic lunch bags and freeze any you won't use.I have tried throwing these but my pizza usually end up looking like a map of Ireland however the taste is more important than the shape my kids tells me. It's a lit easier to roll them with a rolling pin. I use Lidl jar of pasta sauce as a tomatoes base, mozzarella and whatever toppings come to mind. Green pepper and pepperoni is a classic also large prawns salmon and tuna
Now here's the secret
Put a pizza stone or any large unglazed tile on a covered BBQ ie one with a lid. Heat it up to max and wait a bit then pop the pizza on the stone for about 3 mins. I use a bit of semolina on the stone to stop the base sticking. The stone will get a lot hotter than your oven which gives you a lovely bubbly thin base. Musgraves cash and carry sell small pizza peels if you are doing this often to protect you from the heat, I used a flat biscuit tray from Tesco originally as a peel with a welding glove.
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Jonnycheech

I make pizza now and again but I find it hard to get the oven hot enough to get the base crispy enough. The plan is to build a wood-fired pizza oven in the garden, hopefully this summer.

I use HFW's recipe for the base, i think you'll find it fairly decent. I have a few of his books but here is the recipe and tips recreated for an article in the Guardian. 

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/05/hugh-fearnley-whittingstall-pizza
Tapped:
Fermentors:
Bottled:

Samael

Quote from: Sorcerers Apprentice on February 08, 2014, 09:32:57 AM
and 350-400mls of warm water.

Try replace a water on a beer (room temp.) and I'm not kidding :)
..::Tomasz::..

Sorcerers Apprentice

Will do thanks
I remember hearing that Guinness makes excellent pancakes, will give it a shot tomorrow
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Eoin

I dunno if anyone has seen those two pizza guys on food network, but in any case they provided a workaround for the lack of a  pizza stone or the fact that your home oven will not get hot enough for pizza.

I tried this out yesterday for the first time and I was blown away.

Basically, you make your dough as usual, roll it out once proved or whatever way you do it, then put this onto a hot dry pan, and cook the base over the gas on the pan, once the dough goes in then I built the pizza on the pan, check the base until the colour looks right and then put it under a pre-heated grill.

This produced the most amazing pizza that I have ever had at home, the base was crispy and browned, the top was just perfect.

I am not going to use my pizza stone anymore, this was far superior as a method, and it was so fast that pizza will be on the menu more often.