• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 25, 2024, 10:45:28 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

New to brewing - BIAB

Started by finbarrmc, January 27, 2014, 05:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

@geterbrewed

Quote from: Joe Rocket on January 31, 2014, 05:58:32 PM
Hi geterbrewed...I was thinking of a 33l pot, a drawstring bag, and a burner- as a cheaper option compared to a dedicated rig. Throw it into a bundle with some bulk hops and grains to make a few brews, and your laughing!

Oh, and toss in a couple of Wagu steaks too and we're good to go!  ^-^
Wagyu Steaks will be back in again for Easter, we keep thinking we have enough this time and they just sell out! They have been a real winner
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

@geterbrewed

Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on January 31, 2014, 10:54:17 AM

I suspect there is a big demand for value oriented BIAB boiler (1 or 2 elements, 40L capacity minimum, plastic or converted stock pot). And also big demand for specific pieces of kit, like an immersion temperature probe. It would need an on/off tap, and preferably one with a decent sized bore, or optionally something that could take a silicon hose attachment.
Thanks for the feedback, the majority of the feedback through different channels have been a preference for 50l kitted out with all the extras, elements taps etc as you mention, hopefully have the products online very soon
Get 'er Brewed

Join the Revolution.

www.geterbrewed.ie

Paddy

Welcome to the forum Finbarnc.

+1 on Starsan.  It may seem more expensive but as already mentioned, a standard bottle could last you a very long time in the long run.

I put a few mils in a 5Litre bottle of Tesco's Water (the only one I found not to go cloudy over time).  Then you have 5L of sanitiser at your disposal.  Fill a spray bottle for each brewing session and cover your equipment with a thin coating, leave for a minute and you are ready to go.  No need to rinse or anything.  The spray bottle minimises waste.  When your 5L runs out make another batch, but that won't happen for many brews.  And your Starsan will last though many 5L batches.  So win win!

Works for me and my friends. Good sanitation is of primary importance but it is easy to get carried away.

All the best with your BIAB!

TheSumOfAllBeers

Quote from: @geterbrewed on February 01, 2014, 01:34:04 PM
Quote from: TheSumOfAllBeers on January 31, 2014, 10:54:17 AM

I suspect there is a big demand for value oriented BIAB boiler (1 or 2 elements, 40L capacity minimum, plastic or converted stock pot). And also big demand for specific pieces of kit, like an immersion temperature probe. It would need an on/off tap, and preferably one with a decent sized bore, or optionally something that could take a silicon hose attachment.
Thanks for the feedback, the majority of the feedback through different channels have been a preference for 50l kitted out with all the extras, elements taps etc as you mention, hopefully have the products online very soon

Yeah, 50L makes a big difference over 40L when you start thinking about big beers. If you have a metal base, then you can put it on an electric hob to supplement the element, to maintain the rolling boil.

50L also means for regular strength beers, (e.g. 45 -55 OG) that your final volume is closer to 30L fermenter capacity. Some people (like me) prefer to have a bit of extra capacity for social entertaining and the like.

If you can source the stock pots in bulk, and have the DIY skills, you have a perfect platform for BIAB.