• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 06:35:34 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Immersion Elements

Started by Sorcerers Apprentice, March 02, 2014, 02:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorcerers Apprentice

Has anyone installed an immersion element in their keggle? They are available as an 11" element to be mounted horizontally as per the E7 economy immersion tanks used in most modern apartments. From what I can gather the standard thread for fitting these in Ireland or the UK is 2 1/4" BSP. So I reckon I would need a welding spud to adapt the keg to accommodate the element. Some of the larger plumbing suppliers are now offering S/S cylinders so the spuds must be available somewhere.
I like the idea of a proper lid covering the electrical connections along with a proper earth post, rather than use an exposed kettle lead, and I realise that the thermostat has to be bypassed, but the pocket for the thermostat could be utilised for a temperatures probe.Plus they are handy enough to replace if they ever develop a fault, I'm planning on using this element in the HLT with gas for the BK
There's no such thing as bad beer - some just taste better than others

Sorcerers Apprentice

I have banged off a request to this company and will update their response
http://www.joulesolutions.ie/hot-water-storage/363

Ciderhead

Are they not massive and you need dedicated supply from mains to run that beast,
Rethink the 2 Charlie shiels elements, give you more control and a back up in case your element goes half way through the boil.

Beerbuddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNTLudiEQ48  You need one of these  >:D

I was also thinking about the way i heat the keggle in regards to whirlpooling at end of boil to collect trub into centre of keg bottom and siphon off wort from edge which will be clearer. Whilst having fixed elements its not possible to get a good whirlpool due to currents caused in wort from friction with elements. If i could heat the wort with a removable element i could also whirlpool effectively
IBD Member

Sorcerers Apprentice

BB I'm looking at using the Immersion element in the HLT only and Gas for the kettle which reduces clutter in the boil kettle. CH the elements are normally 3 Kw rated although you can order in up to 4Kw, so they are the same as a kettle element, if you check your fuseboard, the immersion is usually protected by a 16A breaker the same as a radial circuit. I'm just not too happy using the kettle leads around where there is a risk of a boil over, plus the element is slightly longer than the small kettle elements which would suggest to be that it might be a lower watt density = less scortching of wort if ever used in contact with wort.
I 've sourced a threaded adaptor in the uk but at a price! I reckon it's brass but its threaded so no weld needed
http://www.fixthebog.com/servlet/the-1006/Essex-2-1-fdsh-4-inch/Detail

Sorcerers Apprentice

DEMPSEY

This is a picture of a deep fat fryer that I have. The elements just slip into the vat containing the oil. Might be adaptable for a boil kettle.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Will_D

I like it Mr D!

Main and Redundant chip fryers.

Just like on the ISS

The Dempsey Household will never be short of great chips!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

St. Fursey

US elements only need a 1 inch hole. I got me some fancy pants camco ultra low density elements for the super top secret upgrade I'm working on. 5.5kW too, the ESB will be sending me Christmas cards!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ciderhead

And your neighbours will be wondering why their lights keep blinking :)

St. Fursey

Sure someone has to help to fund their pension deficit :p

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk