• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 07, 2024, 01:58:52 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Second NHC Small Beer Competition

Started by Rossa, February 27, 2014, 10:48:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossa

Last year we ran the small (low ABV ) beer competition called 'Summer Session'. It was ran at local level with 3 beers from each club meet up going on to the final where the Rascal's brew came out as the winner. They got themselves a day out in Bru brewery where they brewed up a brew of their own which ended up a HUGH hit and baggied them a medal at the Alltech beer fest.

It is a fairly easy competition to organise from my point of view because most of the work is done at local level.
For anyone who wasn't involved last year the general details are -

Brew a beer under 4% that is refreshing, light and reflects those 2 days of summer we get every year.
Beers are judged at club meet ups and the best (number to be decided) go forward to represent the club and themselves in the final.
Beers are judged again by a panel just like at the nationals and points are awarded and Best of Show awarded.
Massive prizes were on offer last year and may be out done this time around.

So I think we should run it again stating this May with the club meet up as a first round and the final in June. We can run this along BJCP lines with our guidelines like last year.

All opinions welcome to get this right.

delzep

brenmurph

Tom

I'm gonna try and enter. I'm sure we can get one or two others in MCB.

delzep

Rossa, is a 4% beer allowed or is 3.9% the limit? I think mine was 3.95 or something by the maths...can't remember now

Ciderhead

Last year 3.999 was accepted, although if it smells of alcohol, tastes of alcohol....

SlugTrap

How long between the first round and the final?

I ask because summer, to me, means lots of fast-fading late hops...

Ciderhead

That depends on your club meet ups surely?

Komodo021

Hop Bomb

What date should we have the club beers judged by? Is there a date for the final round yet?
On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Shane Phelan

We were going to judge ours at our May meet.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Brew Log

Hop Bomb

On tap: Flanders, Gose,
Fermenting: Oatmeal Brown, 200ish Fathoms,
Ageing: bretted 1890 export stout.
To brew:  2015 RIS, Kellerbier, Altbier.

Rossa

If we aim for mid to late June for the finals it might give everyone enough time.

sub82

I would definitely be up for this and have mentioned it on the Belfast board.

Komodo021

We are having our tasting in May to decide what beers we'll be entering - Lee Valley. Cheers lads... Jason