• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 08:22:27 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

JD's Curry Club

Started by Bazza, March 06, 2014, 11:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Ah, there's nothing like a last-minute decision to head to Wetherspoons for lunch. £6 for a choice of curry and an ale.

Hardly gourmet dining or craft beer at its best but it still makes me smile.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

irish_goat

Tempted to take a run up myself and try out the new Sixpoint cans they have in.

iain_todd

Ah nice one Baz. What curry did you have? What ale?

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bazza

Quote from: iain_todd on March 06, 2014, 12:33:10 PM
Ah nice one Baz. What curry did you have? What ale?

This has become quite a regular thing, so I've been going through the menu systematically. Today was the turn of lamb rogan josh and a pint of an APA called 'Make it Rain', brewed by Adnans. Was a premium ale and shouldn't have been in the £6 deal but hadn't been labelled as such so the barman let us away with it :)

Wanted to go for a second [pint] but the 3 other lads got all conscientious about work so left it :(

Only 5 mins' walk from work too. This is gonna be the best Lent ever.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Quiet_Man

What beers are good in JD's?

I have CAMRA vouchers which can be used there, but its not a place I frequent, even though I walk passed it at least twice a day! Must give it a go, now that The Continental seems to have closed its doors.

iain_todd

It generally has a decent selection of cask ales, as well as bottled craft and European beers
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bazza

Quote from: Quiet_Man on March 06, 2014, 01:51:22 PM
What beers are good in JD's?

Thing is, they have different guest ales on every week, so they're never the same. One week it could be all Hilden, the next Whitewater and around that all sorts of obscure-ish English ales/IPAs and porters. Bottle-wise, they've all the Hildens, O'Hara's and McGraths (I think) as well as brewdog, Goose Island, SN, etc. Decent choice.

Problem is, half the draft beers you order are either off or go off during pouring, so it's ususally more limited than it first looks.

Quote from: Quiet_Man on March 06, 2014, 01:51:22 PM

Must give it a go, now that The Continental seems to have closed its doors.

Forgive my ignorance, but where's (was) the Continental?

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Quiet_Man

From a previous post, I believe it was one of the fine establishments that you were apparently thrown out of/asked to leave?

Used to be The Park View, bottom of Ravenhill Road. Shutters seem to be down all the time now - unless its one almighty lock-in!

It's reference was a bit tongue-in-cheek. I didn't really frequent it. Called in once when Rab McCullough Blues Band were playing, but quickly left.

Bazza

Haha!! Silly me. How could I forget! Yeah, we used to know it as the Park View and yes it was us who used to have lunchtime pints there until we were asked never to come back. So much for the sign that said 'Bienvenue', 'Willkommen', 'Benvenuto', etc above the entrance.
Then again the loudest and most drunken of our group happened to be from Mayo. That, coupled with the absence of the word 'Failte' up there didn't help our case.

So its doors are closed? This is a dark day indeed   :P

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Quiet_Man

The night we called in coincided with a full days' centenary celebration for the formation of a volunteer force, back in 2013.

Punters were outfitted in period dress with wooden replica firearms. Not your typical Rab McCullough crowd, I thought.

I said to my mate Brendan, "Billy, its a bit crowded in here, lets head on into town". My other memory was on ordering a pint of Bass/Smithwicks. The barman ran round to Russel Cellars and came back with a tin of Smithwicks, which was transferred into a glass and then charged us 3 odd quid!

Bazza

Haha! Classy spot indeed. Last time I spent £3 for a warm can of Smithwicks was on the Enterprise train.

Yeah, my wife's a district nurse and her work takes her round areas on both sides of the East Belfast divide. She happened upon those commemorating crowds you mentioned on her calls and, not having the best eyesight, thought they were real firearms. It took her till pretty much bedtime to regain colour in her cheeks and for the shaking to completely stop.

-Barry

― Groucho Marx

Bazza

Ah man, just had another of these today, following one last Thursday evening.

I need help.

Festival's still in full swing. Every beer we ordered was at the end of the barrel so had to content myself with Belfast Ale  ::)  followed by a pint of some brown stuff who's name escapes me.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx