• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 01:19:45 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Liffey Belfast Comp

Started by matthewdick23, March 06, 2014, 04:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewdick23

March 06, 2014, 04:22:58 PM Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 08:25:14 AM by Tube
Evening folks, just want to announce the first interclub competition that ourselves and the Liffey Homebrewers will take part in. The competition will run as follows:

-Competition will be BJCP registered and run as any other BJCP competition
-Competition will take place in June on a date and location to be confirmed
-Entry is limited to 20 beers in total and entries will only be accepted by Belfast Homebrewers members only. So far no restrictions on entry numbers per person apply, but if we are oversubscribed, multiple entry brewers will be asked to remove an entry or two if needs be
-Entry fee will be approximately 1 £ per beer just to cover the cost of BJCP registration. There is no prize apart from bragging rights
-Judging will be performed by the Liffey Homebrewers club members (we will judge their entries) on the day so would be good to enter some stinkers and poison our southern pals
-Drop off to be confirmed as soon as possible
-We're hoping to have the judging done in Dublin and up here on the same day so the winners can be announced and showered in glory at the same time
-If its possible, we'll get an independent judge to judge the two winning beers to determine the ULTIMATE WINNER!!!

-Overall winner gets €20,000 to spend in the new homebrew store in dubln

Any questions feel free to ask

iain_todd

Brilliant that sounds great
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

sub82

Sounds class!

Quoteentries will only be accepted by Liffey Brewers members only
- not sure but should that be Belfast Homebrewers?

matthewdick23

lol, copy and pasted for sure

johnrm

'Only accepted by Liffey Brewers members only'? So that means it's open to everyone then?...

Quiet_Man

Guys. Waterboutye`s? Are you keeping an eye on the Liffey Brewers page?

sub82

Quote from: matthewdick23 on March 06, 2014, 09:06:04 PM
lol, copy and pasted for sure

Haha! Sorry being too pedantic as usual.

iain_todd

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

BrewBilly

Is this Comp still on?

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

sub82

No idea - there doesn't seem to have been any updates since.

sub82

Yaaaiiiis! Sounds good big man! ;)

headgasket

Hi all, I head up home every fortnight (to visit family) from Lucan and travel through Belfast - I can assist in the logistics of moving the competition beers South to North or/and vice versa if you wish....

sub82

Sounds good! Not sure what the plans are yet but this would be very helpful.

Bazza

Hi all,

This competition is still on, and I hear the Liffey lads are brewing away like beavers to get us a selection of beers to judge.

So let's get brewing so we can send them down the fruits of our brewing labour.

The plan is loosely as follows:
- We gather 20 or so entries from Belfast members. 20 individual entires would be preferable but if we fall short we may have to have more than 1 entry per member.
- We use my place as holding spot for the Belfast entries, so pm me to arrange collection. I live in Belfast so that's hopefully a good central spot.
- Cost of each entry is £1
- Closing date is June 22nd, hard stop as we're planning the swap over of the Dublin entries for June 23rd
- All beers (Belfast and Liffey) will be labelled with an individual number. This number will be cross-referenced with beer style on a separate sheet.
- On June the 23rd we give all the Belfast entries to a Liffey member who takes them away for judging.
- I'll take all the Liffey entries and keep them safe prior to judging.
- We arrange a June meet in which we judge the Liffey entries.
- We take a beer or two each and score (range TBD) loosely based on stated style.
- If there are 2 or more beers with the highest score we can pass samples around reach a consensus of overall winner.
- Once a winner is picked we then check another sheet which has the beer number and the name of the brewer.
- Brewer is announced and we send him/her a small trophy.
- The Liffey guys do the same for us.

Simple? Then get brewing (if you don't brew anything new then just enter something you're particularly pleased with).

Cheers,

-Barry

Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Nice one Barry!  :)

Will 330mls be ok?