• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 03:14:38 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewday - 26th April

Started by iain_todd, March 24, 2014, 08:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iain_todd

March 24, 2014, 08:53:35 AM Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:33:00 AM by Tube
Well lads, shall we sort out a suitable night for the April meet? I def can't do the 8/9 weekend.

What about everyone else?

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

iain_todd

Sorry I meant the 5/6 weekend - was looking a the wrong month...

"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

Bazza

I've been up all night modifying the agenda template based on feedback:

1. Meet and greet
2. Homebrew samples & House beer (as much as possible a modest amount of both)
3. LOOK AT AGENDA. Maybe one or two of us bring a printout and a pen.
4. Any specific topic you would like help with or would like to share with the group? (post your thoughts or ideas and we'll cover as many as we can at the meet)
5. Agree on a date/venue/theme for next meet(s) (brew build/equipment build, etc - this will determine if they'll be on a Friday or a Saturday).
6. AOB e.g. anything we could do different regarding club/meets, etc
            e.g. suggestions for future meets such as an away day/brewery tour, etc

I'm still not sure if steps 2 and 3 should be swapped around given that we can't seem to make it past step 2. Maybe the revised quantity in step 2 will help.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

iain_todd

Well the issue is everyone standing around waiting for a drink, but if everyone gets a commercial at the start of the night, we can go through the agenda and then start drinking.

I find questions come up as we drink the brews and discuss them, so those two points kind of merge.

But yes, perhaps we should make more of an effort to instil a bit of order! Should we appoint a chair for each meet do you think? Everyone takes it in turns?

sub82

The 19th might be difficult being Easter and the meltiness that is licensing laws. I can never remember what the craic is.

Are we getting a birthday cake?!  ;)

iain_todd

No idea what I was thinking of when I put that poll up. They're all Saturday and then the third is the "2th". Frig knows what that's about. Must've been in a rush...

sub82

Quote from: iain_todd on March 25, 2014, 09:01:14 AM
No idea what I was thinking of when I put that poll up. They're all Saturday and then the third is the "2th". Frig knows what that's about. Must've been in a rush...

Completely unacceptable! :P

Bazza

Hey All,

Apologies for being a spanner in the works and turning our nice voting democracy into some sort of oligarchic dictatorship but, based on factors such as venue availability, shortage of preparation time, etc, the 26th looks like the only realistic date for the brewday.

Thanks to Chris (Sub82) for squaring it with the following venue:

http://warzonecollective.com/

Like I say, I know this is a bit of a finger up the nose of the majority who voted for the 12th, but arranging a brewday is a huge (and sometimes frustrating) undertaking, both logistically and otherwise. It doesn't just happen. As an example - for the last brewday, in October, I didn't get full go-ahead from the Hudson until around 10pm the night before the event! Believe me, that was not due to lack of pestering them every day.  Some factors are just beyond our control.

There's no reason, however, why the 12th couldn't still be used for a normal club meet. What does anyone think?

Anyway, thanks for your understanding and all comments and opinions are welcomed.

Please note: going forward, all NHC members are directed to have the same haircut as me, or face the consequences.

Cheers,

-Barry

P.s. You can blame all the above on improper use of the now legendary 'Agenda', if you like :)
― Groucho Marx

Ciaran

Will try to get down to this one.   Any fixed plans for the day?

Bazza

Hey, Ciaran,

Based on past brewdays we'd be gathering early afternoon (in fact, as near to noon as we can), carrying out a full all-grain brew and disappearing at the end of the day with a handful of full fermenters. The results will be sampled in future meets.

Recipe, who can bring what equipment, who can bring what ingredients, etc will be discussed and agreed in the lead-up but on the day anyone who wants to is welcome to muck in and get as involved as they like. Hopefully we can get one or two of our nice affiliates involved as well :)

The amount of equipment and planning needed for an all-grain brew can be a little off-putting to the un-initiated, so we're hoping to carry out a kit brew in parallel to show just how simple it is to get started homebrewing.

I need to check with Chris and the Centre, but we should hopefully all be able to supply (and drink) samples of previously-finished products as a reward for all that hard effort :)

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Thanks Barry!  ;D

Quote from: Bazza on April 08, 2014, 11:50:58 AM

I need to check with Chris and the Centre, but we should hopefully all be able to supply (and drink) samples of previously-finished products as a reward for all that hard effort :)

Yes I asked them this when we met and they're more than happy if we bring samples. Can anyone think of anything else I need to ask them?

I've already covered:

Water supply
Electricity
Drainage for waste water
An outdoor area for the boil (if needed)

Quiet_Man

Jeez Barry -- is that what you look like after 3 months in rehab?

BrewBilly

Sorry guys, I have my MSc dissertation to hand in on the 21st so cant make it.

Cheers
Andy
Addicted Amateur

DJ: Empty
FV1: Ausie Pale Ale
FV2: Hefeweizen
Plans: Centennial SMaSH

Bazza

This is on the 26th Andy. You'll be celebrating at that stage.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

sub82