• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 04:27:11 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

White Loaf Query

Started by Bazza, April 23, 2014, 10:29:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

Okay you bread experts out there.

Following a recipe for straightforward white loaf (Flour, water, salt, Allinsons dried yeast I'm getting the following:

Looking good...

Until you get into the bugger:

You could get your whole fist in there.

Tastes great and all that. Nice and soft, etc, but why these huge air holes? Am I not leaving it long enough to prove (about 2 hours)?

Is it to do with rolling/shaping technique? After first rise (of an hour tops) I knock it back, flatten with rolling pin, roll this up, turn 90 degrees, rolling pin, roll up turn, etc about 4 times, then shape it into a rugby ball shape and leave to prove in the tin for about 2 hours with a stiff plastic bag placed over it giving plenty of room to rise.

I've had 2 in a row turn out like this.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Eoin

It's the second kneading normally, you've allowed a layer of flour to get in between the folds and it's got trapped air and it blows up.
I use a kitchenaid doughhook to do my first kneading and I knead for ten minutes. The second knead is the key, the way you fold it and the way you knead any extra flour in when doing the knockback, the flour on your kneading surface is enough to cause the stratification that will cause the issue.

LordEoin

or just fill the hole with cheese and bacon.

Bazza

Quote from: Eoin on April 23, 2014, 10:44:37 AM
It's the second kneading normally, you've allowed a layer of flour to get in between the folds and it's got trapped air and it blows up.
Ah right; makes sense, Eoin. I keep sprinkling flour before every fold to stop it sticking to the rolling pin. Will try and do this without flour and see what happens. Cheers.

Quote from: LordEoin on April 23, 2014, 11:23:57 AM
or just fill the hole with cheese and bacon.
Haha! Like the idea. Seriously, though, you could walk a whole pig into that cavity.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Dunkel

Or just sprinkle a little flour on to the rolling pin.

Bazza

Quote from: Dunkel on April 23, 2014, 01:29:20 PM
Or just sprinkle a little flour on to the rolling pin.
Too much logical thinking there, Dunkel. You ever considered a career in IT?

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Eoin

Yeah, I try to use as little as possible when doing the knockback, in fact I try to get away with just the bit that is on the bottom of the dough from the banneton.

Eugene O'Brien

If I'm using "fast action" yeast the packet says that I don't have to prove twice!
Why do I still do it?

Eoin

For crumb texture and to prevent large pockets developing in the dough.

Bazza

Quick update:

Made another loaf two evenings ago and this time didn't use any flour during second knead.

Result: No huge caverns :)

Only thing is, now it's nice and uniformly aerated it doesn't tower as majestically over the top of the tin. Just need to up the ingredients to suit that size of tin.

Cheers, lads.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Eoin

Quote from: Bazza on April 25, 2014, 11:34:20 AM
Quick update:

Made another loaf two evenings ago and this time didn't use any flour during second knead.

Result: No huge caverns :)

Only thing is, now it's nice and uniformly aerated it doesn't tower as majestically over the top of the tin. Just need to up the ingredients to suit that size of tin.

Cheers, lads.

-Barry

Glad to have helped Baz. :)

Let it rise for longer and it may once more become majestic and soar to its previous heights...one can dream at least....or something.

Eoin

Just as an aside, you can use extra flour when doing the knockback just ensure that it is well integrated and gets wet, otherwise a dry layer sits in between the folds as described and stops the sides sticking together.
I tend towards using very little, I also only do it by hand and don't use a rolling pin at this stage.