• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 03:50:24 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Orange Hefeweizen (ala 'shocktop')

Started by LordEoin, December 07, 2012, 12:01:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ComusLives

Sorry for reviving such an old thread!

I figured I'd give this recipe a shot, but I couldn't get my hands on any wheat DME for this brew. All I could get at the time of doing it during the week was Munton's extra light spray malt. It's been three days now and it's already hit what you said for the FG, but that may be because I used Mangrove Jack's wheat beer yeast instead, as I had it lying around anyway and I've gotten good results from it.

How much d'you reckon the extra light spray malt and different yeast would effect the end product? This is my first attempt at anything besides what just comes with a kit.

dcalnan

Yours mightn't have the same taste as the ratio between wheat and malt (dme/lme) is a small bit in favour of the malt, but wheat beers get a lot of their flavour from the yeast so using a wheat beer yeast should help. But in the end it's how it tastes from the bottle. I'd maybe leave it in the fermenter for another few days, to make sure it's completely finished fermenting. It's a really nice combination the orange and wheatbeer. 

oinkely

Put this on last night, followed LordEoin's recipe pretty much exactly so very excited to see how it turns out.  It's in the basement tipping away with a heat belt and STC1000 set to 23 Degrees now.  I'll be dropping the temperature as per the recipe in a week.

Thanks for sharing LE. 

LordEoin

pity you don't have it ready for this week's summer!  ;D

RobShamrock

Good man, I got the ingredients delivered yesterday, both my F/V are on the go for next two weeks though, so wont be starting it for a bit yet, How did you ever get on with your lightning strike summer ale ??

oinkely

@ LE - there will be more summer - definitely in July when I am on my holliers drinking this and my summer ale!

@Rob - the lightning strike worked out really great - updated that in the other post.  Delicious IMHO.  Had one last night when brewing up this and shared a few out last weekend.  tis delicious.

oinkely

First week in the fermenter almost over and my basement smells delicious!  I'll be reducing the temperature to LE's recommendations tomorrow and then bottling some evening next week.  I have a queue of people wanting to try this out.  Seems I have a lot of Weissbier fan friends!

RobShamrock

Can't wait myself. Hoping to free up an f/v this weekend so might get my one on if lucky

LordEoin

yes, it is a welcome smelling ferment especially if you've brewed a stinky egg-fart lager recently  ;D

gearoid

JASONM

I've made this one twice now. The first time was a year ago and was my first kit hack. Its been my favorite by far. Thanks for the recipe.

I used the Brewferm Blanche yeast instead, sweet orange peel and also used Saaz hops.

For a first effort it went quite well especially considering the number of rookie mistakes I made. Like:

• Pitching temp too high (too much boiled water, didn't use a bath to cool it)
  • Over carbed the bottles (no bombs but really fizzy)
  • Boiled the adjuncts separate from the wort. (not full flavor extraction)

My second effort is in the FV and will be ready to bottle by the weekend.

I avoided my previous mistakes, steeped some Abbey Malt and bumped up the fermentables this time round. The samples I took when checking the gravity are shaping up nicely.

Can't wait to start drinking it.

LordEoin

Some day Shocktop will make it over here and you'll all be like "WTF is this shite? I was expecting it to be as good as the kit-hack!!"  ;D

oinkely

I plan to bottle this tonight, it's just finished its week at 16-18 degrees so all going well i'll have it bottled up this evening and then move on to an APA recipe.

JASONM

Quote from: LordEoin on June 23, 2015, 11:25:08 PM
Some day Shocktop will make it over here and you'll all be like "WTF is this shite? I was expecting it to be as good as the kit-hack!!"  ;D

You can get Blue Moon in most shops now which is along the same lines as this recipe.... my first reaction was "Good but... I preferred my own"

LordEoin

the normal blue moon has little flavor.
if i remember correctly they had a version with bumped up orange and coriander, but it was still pretty weak.
but any of those special versions that i've found here are too old and have lost their freshness or balance