• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 23, 2024, 12:00:16 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

hydrometer question

Started by rje66, September 14, 2014, 11:41:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rje66

Hope this isn't a stuppppid question, but is a wine and beer hydrometer the same?
Only reason I ask is I took a OG reading from my plums wine and it was just on the very first numbers on the hydrometer ie it was sitting very high.
Is this ok? Or just that there's still a lot of density due to sugar in the wine ;D
Wife says to me one day... "so do you love beer more than me?....
Naturally, I replied,...... making it or drinking it??😱😱
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Tom

Yeah, same thing. The Stevenson ones have all the measurements on one hydrometer.

For a wine you'll be looking at 1080+ starting gravity. The hydrometer should say also whether that will yield a sweet, medium or dry wine, and how much sugar is in the wine-wort per litre. Hydrometers are feckin' great.

If it's sitting WAY high, check that the wine-wort is deep enough that the hydrometer isn't resting on the bottom of the vessel, and also that you haven't got a plum holding it up.

What's your recipe?

rje66

September 14, 2014, 12:30:04 PM #2 Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:15:15 PM by rje66
Recipe isn't too far from the one you posted on other thread.
Have taken the wine off the mushed up fruit. So it's pretty much floating on its own. Maybe when sediment drops to bottom I'll take a reading again.
www.gardenconcepts.ie

Tom

rje66

www.gardenconcepts.ie

Tom

Wow! I'd say that's going to be a sweet wine.