• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 05:28:35 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

September meet!

Started by sub82, August 06, 2014, 03:58:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny

Hey guys,

Don't think I'll be able to make it tonight unfortunately.  Was hoping to make it along and meet some of the local brewers but that'll have to wait I'm afraid.  Another time.  Keep us posted if you plan to do another brew day in the next couple of months like folks were talking about.  Be cool to meet and learn from some more knowledgeable folks.

Anyway, I'll get to one of these another time.  Glad to have discovered this list and look forward to chatting to you guys.  For those of you that manage to make it along tonight have a really good time.

Jonny.

sub82

Sorry all been mayhem today but just in the Hudson now!

sub82

That was a great wee night! Some good brews on show - thanks to everyone who came down!  :)

Amac47

Great to have met up with fellow brewers on Friday night...we were 7 in total so not a bad turn out.  Although the Hudson was OK I am still of the opinion that a private room is needed for the next meeting as I found the distraction and noise of the bar made it difficult to discuss and appraise the various beers people brought along.  I also think that if these meetings are to become a regular thing then a fixed night each month should be selected...say, the first Thursday of each month or every other month. I would quite happily host a meeting at my place but I live out in the sticks and transport would be an issue there. I did mention to Barry about trying the see if Natures Way might host us but maybe that is not a good idea as there is always the risk of contaminating the shop with  some wild yeasts or the like!  So ideas needed and also a bit of scouting around for a room. Some feedback on this please esp. from those who attended the meeting.

Alan

Bazza

Apologies for only getting to this now.

Yep; was a good wee meet last Friday. Modest turnout but great to see a handful of new members join. Always a promising sign.

Alan, to your point about the venue/night, I'm of an open mind. Same venue on a weeknight might mean a much quieter experience, though that's not always guaranteed. I personally prefer to have the meetings in a pub where craft beer is sold on tap so we can sample both homebrews and commercial craft beers/ales. If you're like me and don't get out very often anymore then the nights are very much about quality :) 

Also, you're not the first one to comment about the noise and congestion that is the Friday night pub experience. The point of the club is to encourage new members, not put them off, so if folk feel strongly enough about having meets in a quieter atmosphere then you have my vote (as long as we don't end up all oak panels, suits, sashes and silver spitting buckets a la Frasier and Niles' wine club :)   )

We have talked before about setting a certain night each month for meets and then folk can plan stuff around that rather than the other way round. It does make sense. Unfortunately every time we attempt to broach the subject someone opens the window of the Hudson and that bloody agenda goes flying out on the breeze.

Personally, I prefer to do the meets on a weeknight. Weekends aren't great for me and I suspect that's the case with the majority of folk.
As regards venue; like I say, I prefer to use a good bar but with a more private setup.

I think I'm agreeing with you here, Alan :)

I'd be interested to hear what other folk think. After all, it's our club and ours to use in the way we think is most satisfactory.

Maybe time to start a new thread on the subject.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Yep - I also think a weeknight makes more sense and would be easier to plan around than a Friday.

What would everyone make of trialing the top floor of the Hudson during the week? It was pretty empty for a Friday night so possibly very quiet during the week?

The only other place I can think would be the private room upstairs in the Garrick.

Amac47

Agree with you Barry...a good bar with a private room would be the best option. Are we tied to trying to find a bar in the city centre?

Alan

New thread would be good!

sub82

Great stuff lads! Will do.

DubbelD

I'm sorry I missed this, but I was away for work and didn't get home till the Saturday.

Next time...