• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 07:56:20 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Belfast Beer Festival

Started by Bazza, November 05, 2014, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

November 05, 2014, 01:48:26 PM Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 02:55:27 PM by Bazza
Anyone going to this?

I've been religiously going on the Friday night for the past few years, but this year, the missus is going to London for the weekend. I wouldn't mind but she asked if I'd anything on that weekend and I said, 'No', expecting the festival to be nearer the end of November like it usually is :(

Hoping, however, to drop in for a few on the Thursday evening.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Paddy

Heading to the Saturday evening as per every other year.  Booked in for a tasting session too as per every other year.  Saturday sort of sucks as all the good stuff out on the floor is gone by then.  But sadly it seems the only evening I'm free e very year  :-\

Ciaran

Yeah I would agree with that.  I've not been on a Friday but for me the Thursday night is the best night in terms of available beer choice.  We decided to go for a second night last year on the saturday and I think all the stouts/porters/IPAs/pale ales etc were off - if I remember right all that was left was bitters and milds (not that they're bad but it was a little disappointing).   As fate would have it the thursday night is the only night that suits me this year so can't complain.

Quiet_Man

Looking like Thursday for me too. Even remembered to renew my CAMRA membership in time.

Totally agree with everone's comments - Saturday night feels like slops night!

Bazza

So did youse get down to the Ulster Hall at some point, then? What was it like?

I was supposed to go on Thursday but couldn't make it in the end. Gutted  :(

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Quiet_Man

Hi Barry,

I made in down for a bit on Thursday night. Not too crowded (probably due to the weather more than anything).

Started off on the wrong foot, sampling the Champion Beer of the Show (or Best of Breed - or whatever they call it), Titanic's Cappuccino Stout/Porter. Definitely Cappuccino in there - tasted like those sickly sweet instant Cappuccino's you can get, but a tad overpowering and was fed up with it by the end of the half-pint. The flavour carried over into my next half (to its ruin) which was Dark Star Original. I also sampled Pokertree's Festival Beer - their take on a Belgain Farmhouse style with local foraged bits and pieces. Not too bad (but then I'm not a big fan of this style). Whitewater's Festival Beer had no description other than 7.2% abv, and the CAMRA guys own words - its a brown beer mate! Opted just for a wee taste and thought it quite similar to the Dark Ruby Mild which I brewed recently. There was also a Squadron Scrambler, a HoppyNess and my favourite by far, on the night Tyneside Pacifica (which I think took the Silver award).

Just my own opinions on what beers I sampled and would be interested to hear what others thought.

Andy

Paddy

Went for the tasting session on Saturday night.

The attendants serving the beer were hammered, but can't say I blame them having to listen to the same drivel three nights in a row  ;D

Buddy and I decided to open a can of worms and brought up the age old argument about kegging with cornys and CO2.  Sounds like CAMRA are sticking to their guns on this one and don't consider anything gassed with CO2 as "real ale". 

Turned into a bit of an argument before they swiftly changed the subject.  Really annoyed me actually lol

The offerings were:

Atlas Latitude- It was supposed to be a Pilsner but it was a bit heavily hopped for the style in my opinion.  Heavier than expected too.  Seemed a bit confused. Nice all the same.

Osset Endeavour- Single variety beer.  Interesting to try endevour hops but nothing special.

High House Black Moss- No better than the dark mild my buddy brewed recently.

Hanlon's Port Stout- The nicest by far.  Lovely and creamy stout.  A little sickly sweet with the port but full of body and flavour!  I'd sure buy this one again.

And four others that didn't make the memory registry for one reason or another :)

Overall not as impressed as I expected to be.

Again didn't seem overly busy on the floor.  Probably because of the Xmas market opening.  Hoped to stay longer but my heavily pregnant wife had her fill at the market and ended up waiting outside for me  ???

On the bright side she had a blue cheese burger waiting for me  :D

Ciaran

Went on the thursday, of the ones I tried I remember the following

Outstanding Black IPA - was off for about two hours at the start, when we eventually got it the consensus was that it was never an IPA.  More like a porter or as some put it a black irish red.
Box Steam Funnel Blower Vanilla Porter  - remember quite liking this
Mordue Ascendancy 7.4%       A Belgian Double IPA Weizen Hybrid - I liked it, but most of the folk I was with didn't
Flipside Russian Roulette - at 7.3% finishing the night with a full pint of this probably wasn't the best idea.  Tastey enough but really suffered for it :)
Titanic Cappuccino Stout - would echo andys comments, sickly sweet but the best smelling beer of the night
Port Stout - same conclusion as Paddy, sweet but tastey
Tryst Raj IPA - was okay nothing brilliant

At the end of the day it's a beer festival so whats not to like, but I tried loads more beer most of which was fairly average.   I think we're spoiled by all the good bottled beer and beer clubs on the go now.   

Bazza

Cheers for the updates, lads.

Quote from: Ciaran on November 17, 2014, 04:25:28 PM
At the end of the day it's a beer festival so whats not to like, but I tried loads more beer most of which was fairly average.   I think we're spoiled by all the good bottled beer and beer clubs on the go now.   
I think the same. Gutted as I am about missing it, the impact hasn't been the same as previous years, when it was pretty much your only source of a decent variety of ales, IPAs, etc, in Belfast.
But with an increasing number of pubs stocking craft beer, coupled with an ever-rotating array of kegs in 'Spoons, you're not counting down the weeks between festivals quite as much.

Still, next year....

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Paddy

Agree with you guys.

I guess the scene is changing and we are spoiled with home-brew and a better offering locally in recent year so I shouldn't complain  :-\

It's not a barren waste land out there anymore but it's still far from an oasis and the festival will always be a great way of promoting real beer.

Gutted I didn't get to try a few ciders.  Something to look forward to then.