• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:43:03 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Whirlfloc V Irish Moss

Started by Roo, November 04, 2014, 04:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roo

Are whirlfloc tablets a better additive to clarify the brew?

Answers on a post(card)

Thanks
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

Oh Crap

My understanding is that whirfloc tablets are a concentrated version of Irish moss, I could be wrong.
I have both and find whirfloc easier to use...u just chuck it in with 10/15 to go. With Irish moss u should rehydrate it OR put it in at the start of the boil....I'm sure more experienced Brewers will have a more detailed answer. As for clarifying neither is better then the other in my opinion
Beer
1 is good, 2 is better, 3 is enough & 4 isn't half enough

LordEoin

i've never noticed a difference between irish moss and whirlfloc.
Add both about 15 minutes to the end of the boil.
i ususlly use around a half a whirlfloc tablet depending on how it breaks.

Paddy

User IM myself.  I also put it in 15 minutes end of boil as Roo said.  Never had to hydrate it or anything :)

Quiet_Man

IM for me too, 10 mins from end of boil.

LordEoin

did a  quick google on the whirlfloc tablets and apparently they're made for 10 gallon batches, that's why you split them.

Roo

Thanks Gents. Gonna give it a whirl when geterbrewed get them back in stock.
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

DEMPSEY

Some people using a full tablet on a 5 gallon batch have reported that they get a lot of fluff type settling at the bottom of the fermenter as too much is not a good thing. Used 1 tablet myself before and did not have this though :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Amac47

Prefer IM for last 10 mins of the boil.

LordEoin

how about protofloc?
i bought a tub of this to try.
Any good?

DEMPSEY

Is that the brand produced for the brewing industry by Kerry group.
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

LordEoin

Produced by brupaks, got seaweed extracts so I presume it's something similar to processed irish moss
http://www.homebrewwest.ie/protafloc-granules-50g-3082-p.asp

Roo

Just picked up a pack of whirlfloc from Geterbrewed along with the igredients for a Dead Pony Clone. Will report back on its effectiveness nearer to Chrimbo!