• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 03:21:29 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Anyone used the Bulldog Malt Mill

Started by mcooney, November 27, 2014, 12:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcooney

Know if its as good as the Brewferm one?
Its 40 euro cheaper...

mcooney

I ended up buying the Brewferm one as it was on sale and I knew it was good.

molc

Did the same myself. With reviews on the site, though going with the safe option was worth it.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

biertourist

December 19, 2014, 12:55:22 AM #4 Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 01:14:19 AM by biertourist
Wow, this looks like a GREAT malt mill. I can't believe how cheap it is.  I was looking for a "cog wheel" malt mill like this a year ago when I bought my Monster Mill. 

I can't emphasize how useful of a feature this is; it normally only exists in INSANELY expensive malt mills.  Having both rollers connected together with the cog and spinning at the same speed and both powered reduces the sheer forces on the malt husk to the absolute minimum. It means that the husk doesn't get all torn up and stays intact which not only means reduced likelihood of a stuck sparge and the ability to run off faster, but it means a dramatically reduced rate and risk of tannin extraction.  -All we ever hear about as home brewers is usually the combination of pH + temperature that causes tannin extraction but shredded husks play a huge part. (I've switched to "conditioning" my malt with water spray and letting it set for 20-30 minutes before I crush to make up for my non-geared/cogged malt mill so that my husks stay more intact.)

The only home brewer malt mills that I know that have this feature are the Schmidling which is stupid expensive and doesn't come with a hopper or body (you have to build them) and a guy out here in Seattle who builds custom mills for home brew shops and microbreweries and these start at $1,800 with a welded hopper, motor, switch and rolling cart. (They've got a couple extra features, so by no means a direct comparison, but my point is that this is a high-end feature with a very low end price.)

I wish the Bulldog malt mill existed / I knew about it a year ago and I'd deal with shipping the stupid thing out here.

Someone needs to buy one of these and report back.  ;-)

IMHO, this is one of the critical features that's missing in most home brew mills.  If you read the reviews for the Cereal Crusher, you'll see lots of people complaining that the 2nd roller often doesn't spin -that's NOT an issue when both rollers are tied together with a gear / cog like this.

Adam

Bogwoppit

I might have a look at this in the new year and report back.
No budget at the moment due to christmas.

Qs

Any update on this? Anyone get one?

I'm looking to get a mill and the €30 difference plus what biertourist is saying about the cogwheel feature has me very interested.

armedcor

I have one. it's done the job so far. I'll be conditioning my malt for the first time this weekend as well to see how that changed it.

Mine has a bit of an annoying click that was easily fixed and Vermelho has had to return one so I'm not sure how good the quality control is.

Qs

Doesn't sound so great. Might just cough up the extra €30 for the Brewferm to be safe.

armedcor

I'll report back after my next brew day and update

Qs

Cheers. I've a couple of bags of crushed to use in the next couple of weeks anyway. I'm just sick of how quickly it stales. Need to fresh crush my own by summer.

TheSumOfAllBeers

Yeah. I need to get back into crushing everything and away from precrushed too. On a brewing binge to clear out all the precrushed. Even debating doing a wheat IPA or barley wine

Bogwoppit

I'm about to shell out for one myself so we'll see.

biertourist

Please report back the results and ideally a picture of the crush that you get.

Adam

armedcor

Will do! I'm gonna try malt condition as well so that will have am impact.