• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 07:48:00 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

10L keg

Started by Kevin O'Roundwood, January 07, 2015, 11:46:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin O'Roundwood

Was given a small 10 litre plastic keg with 8 gramme CO2 capsules as a Christmas present by the father-in-law (legend). My first step into the world of kegs. Just wondering how long those little CO2 capsules generally last? Would one last for the life of the keg or do they have to be changed out often?

Thanks!
Buachaill dána

Qs

I've only used those capsules on 5L mini kegs like this

They usually took a capsule or just over for the keg so you'll probably use 2 or 3 on a 10L keg.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Grand job - how do you know when to change them? Does the beer come out flat or something?
Buachaill dána

Qs

You'll need to prime the beer with sugar if you want to use those little capsules. They'd be just to give enough pressure to dispense.

Is it a 10L corny keg? Could you buy a bottle of CO2 for it, they're a decent price in bray.

Kevin O'Roundwood

https://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/5-gal-basic-white-barrel-with-8grm-pin-valve-p-50.html

Nah it's just a small little plastic keg - like a smaller version of your man above

Hooking it up to a big CO2 bottle would be overkill for this little fella I'd say
Buachaill dána

googoomuck

I prime the keg as normal, then use the bulbs when the natural carbonation begins to slow down.

googoomuck

When I say normal I mean I add 100g of sugar to the keg before siphoning the beer in on top.

Kevin O'Roundwood

Cheers lads - I was going to bulk prime the beer with sugar as normal alright.

So is the role of the CO2 in this case to basically fill the increasingly large gap in the top of the keg with CO2 instead of air? Or does it get into the beer as well and add carbonation?
Buachaill dána

googoomuck

Quote from: Kevin Roundwood on January 07, 2015, 04:17:52 PM
Cheers lads - I was going to bulk prime the beer with sugar as normal alright.

So is the role of the CO2 in this case to basically fill the increasingly large gap in the top of the keg with CO2 instead of air? Or does it get into the beer as well and add carbonation?
Yeah a bit of both I'd imagine, I'm not sure though.

molc

Depends on the type of mini. I know the brewferm ones can't really hold much pressure, so it's mostly for dispensing.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Kevin O'Roundwood

Just kegged this last night. Bulk primed from the fermenter into a bottling bucket then filled the keg and bottled the rest.

Does it take as long for the beer to condition in the keg as it does in bottles? Or longer even??
Buachaill dána