• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 18, 2024, 03:34:58 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Taste of Yeast

Started by irish_goat, January 23, 2015, 11:20:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_goat

Just wondering have people noticed the lees of different yeast varieties tasting different? I had a bottle of White Hag IPA the other day and the first sip I had before emptying the bottle was great but when I poured the lees in it wasn't particularly nice anymore. The overriding thought I had in my head was that it had a homebrew twang to it but also, my own homebrews don't taste bad when I pour the yeast into the glass. Not sure what yeast White Hag use but I generally use notty or WLP007 and happily dump the entire contents into the glass. My cousin had the same thoughts and he's not a brewer at all (but knows good beer from bad).

Obviously certain beers like hefeweizen are supposed to be drunk with the yeast swirled through the drink so it got me thinking do certain yeasts lend themselves better to bottle conditioning if you're not gonna pour carefully?

Bubbles

I always avoid the yeast, and I don't want it throwing off the flavours of the beer. I find the English yeasts in particular too bready if I accidentally pour some into my beer. But they generally compact well in the bottle anyway.

The Belgian yeasts are the only exception, a little bit of the yeast can be nice, particularly in the lighters styles, and I'm not as fastidious about not stirring up the yeast.

Rossa

There are some dry yeasts I can't stand the taste of. I think I can smell them and I identify them but it could be nonsense...

Some of the big boys use dry yeast and others want to so I hope it's not just my snobbery of dry yeast coming out.

Bubbles

Quote from: Rossa on January 23, 2015, 12:40:20 PM
Some of the big boys use dry yeast and others want to so I hope it's not just my snobbery of dry yeast coming out.

They certainly do.. My understanding is that O'Haras, Metalman and Galway Bay all use Nottingham. For their "regular" ales, that is..

Galway Hooker (and probably lots of others here) use US-05. I think Blacks use it too.

irish_goat

Cheers lads. I pretty much never use US-05 so I'm not sure what it normally tastes like in my own brews. I'll have to try and get one for comparison.

Rossa

Quote from: Bubbles on January 23, 2015, 12:49:25 PM

They certainly do.. My understanding is that O'Haras, Metalman and Galway Bay all use Nottingham. For their "regular" ales, that is..

Galway Hooker (and probably lots of others here) use US-05. I think Blacks use it too.
I mean vitamin H!

Rossa

Quote from: irish_goat on January 23, 2015, 01:04:10 PM
Cheers lads. I pretty much never use US-05 so I'm not sure what it normally tastes like in my own brews. I'll have to try and get one for comparison.
That's one I just don't like anymore. I used to use it all the time.

Bubbles

Quote from: Rossa on January 23, 2015, 04:29:06 PM

Why did you give up on it?

DEMPSEY

Quote from: Bubbles on January 23, 2015, 04:47:42 PM

Aaah sure he just following the herd :P ;D. No really there seems to be alot of people commenting on the web about US-05 as not being what it was. :-\
Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

molc

Going to try some of it soon instead of 001 in a blue moon clone. I'm thinking any weird flavour will be hidden under the Orange flavours :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

Rossa

Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 23, 2015, 05:13:32 PM

Aaah sure he just following the herd :P ;D. No really there seems to be alot of people commenting on the web about US-05 as not being what it was. :-\
Yeah. I haven't used it in a couple of years.

Qs

Bru use Notty for their main beers too. And I'm told they ferment quite hot with it.

Bubbles

Quote from: DEMPSEY on January 23, 2015, 05:13:32 PM

I still love the yeast, and use it in about 75% of the beers I brew, but I have noticed that it's more flocculant than it used to be. When I first started using it, it was a bitch to use. Generally involved giving the fermenter a shake to encourage the yeast to drop.

I love how attenuative it is, especially as I'm lazy about my mash temps...

Bubbles

Quote from: Qs on January 23, 2015, 06:24:03 PM

Bru use Notty for their main beers too. And I'm told they ferment quite hot with it.

Good info. Though Notty can be the worst strain to push to its limit as far as temperature goes. Fermented warm it really tastes rubbish..

Qs

I was talking to one of the brewers at a meet the brewer thing and he said they ferment at 25C, I said that was nuts and if fermented notty at that it'd be a mess, but their beer is pretty clean. He reckoned its to do with their open top FVs, I knew nothing about that so I just nodded and smiled then.