• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
May 11, 2024, 10:24:06 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Have I blown it ?

Started by Nibrewer, February 10, 2015, 08:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nibrewer

I will give that a try. I am just going to put it into plastic litre bottles. Am I correct in surmising that a tea spoon of sugar in the bottle will be ok.

Thanks

banjobrew

That'll probably be fine but if you want here's a calculator to work it out more accurately.

http://kotmf.com/tools/prime.php

Just find the beer style from the drop down, enter in the volume CO2 from said drop down as well as beer temperature and batch volume and hit calculate!

I worked out for your 1L bottles it would be about 6g of cane sugar and a level teaspoon is about 5g so that should be a good reference.

Invest in some brown 500ml glass bottles. The ones I bought had delicious beer in them and were really fun to collect. Otherwise, House of Homebrew on the Upper Newtownards road sell the thicker ones for 50p each. Best price for a brown bottle with beer in it is Banks's Bitter in Tesco for £1!

Gareth
Belfast Homebrewers.

belfastjacko

This thread rings so many bells with me. My first brew kit was a coopers mexican cervezza (corona clone) and boy did I mess it up! Ive done 3 or 4 more brews since then and each one is a VAST improvement on the last, to the point my last 2 brews have been served up at house parties to "rave reviews."

Basically my message is, dont give up, stick at it.

In the case of bottles, I purchased a load of 75cl Grolsch style bottles. They are almost fool proof when sealing them for carbonation, but the down side is they are a nightmare to clean after the event.

Nibrewer

Thanks for the encouragement , my first batch was a disaster. I have now had another on the go for a while now and have put it into a barrel. Had a sneaky tast and it's ok. It's still fresh and a bit cloudy but only to be expected.
The kit was to make 5 gallons but as the first one tasted very watery I only made this one 4.5 gallon and it's ok I guess.
I am thinking of getting one of the co2 screw lids and trying that as well it may give a bit of a better taste not being flat.