• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 26, 2024, 06:35:10 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewday Hudson 20th April. What to make?

Started by matthewdick23, April 03, 2013, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewdick23

So I have a good bit of two row and a bit of specialty grain and hops left over. lots of different yeasts too.

will get a detailed list once I'm home

What do folks want to brew?

Matthew

sub82

Would keeping it simple with a pale ale using a couple of malts and hops be best?

What does everyone else think?

matthewdick23

could do that, aye

or what if we made a bigger batch- say around 30-40 L of something then split it and each used different yeasts at home- could be a fun experiment

I'm very tempted to get into sours too- but this is maybe not the day for that

what you think?

sub82

April 04, 2013, 02:24:01 PM #3 Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 02:25:11 PM by sub82
Yeah definitely - that'd be cool! Even try different dry hopping etc.?

You could give the sours ago - is that adding brettanomyces?

matthewdick23

adding brett would be one option, yeah.

hmmm, maybe a simple (i?)pa grain bill then split boil into two batches for diff hops.

or, same hops, different yeasts at home

sub82

Maybe just the one batch would be better, at least for our first demo, then do the different yeasts?

matthewdick23

yeah sounds good.  i have a good bit of two row malt- should be enough for a big batch- i'll put it into the software and see what the max is i can make wit my boiler n mash tun

any thoughts on hops or specialty grain?

i double checked the grain bill on that iipa i had done for our last meet- it is just amber as a specialty. crazy huh?

sub82

Definitely!

We've a load of Maris Otter that can be used. Not sure - maybe Munich and crystal? No idea on hops - do you've any preference? What about cascade?

We've black and chocolate malt that can be brought on the day for people to taste.

matthewdick23

how much mo do you have?

and do you have any hops? i'll check and see what I have- could be nice not to have to order anything for this brew!

sub82

We should have around 10kg MO.

We actually need to order some hops ourselves. Got 2 brews on last week - might have some magnum and mount hood, think around 20g of each, probably not enough for a big brew.

matthewdick23

k, ill check and see what i have and put it all into beeralchemy. maybe split your base grain and mine 50-50.  maybe a 4% pale ale? what kinda ibu?

sub82

Quotek, ill check and see what i have and put it all into beeralchemy. maybe split your base grain and mine 50-50.  maybe a 4% pale ale? what kinda ibu?

Not sure - we've very little experience working to IBUs. Something similar to dead pony club might be good?

matthewdick23

sub82

April 09, 2013, 03:42:12 PM #14 Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:49:41 PM by sub82
Ah nice one!

Do you have a method to follow on the day? What equipment is needed?

Also - Rossa says there is a handout for brew demos in the Capital forum that we can use for ours.

http://www.nationalhomebrewclub.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1354881886