• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 05:59:41 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewday Hudson 20th April. What to make?

Started by matthewdick23, April 03, 2013, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sub82

Absolutely!

Would be great to have more members up for the brew. Is it yourself and another?

sub82

matthewdick23

yeah! that'd be sweet! if you want to bring an fv of wort home on the train we could try to work something out!!

matthewdick23

and chris, about the yeast- I already have one starting for my 12L for saturday, so don't worry about that.  If it's the 001, though, I'd love to get some back next time you use it.

where there dates on the yeast bottles? if so, I should know what yeast it was from the bottle

sub82

Sounds good Tube - it'd be good to get as many as possible and to meet other members of the club.

Matthew - it was either January/February this year, or April last year. Sorry I didn't write it down. It's been used and washed so I'll bring a jar on Saturday.

matthewdick23

k- thx. as long as you have some extra for yourself too!

Will_D

Sounds like this is shapping up to be quite a day!

It will certainly spread the word about home brewing.

Please take lots of pictures and submit a writeup for our front page.

If you and the Hudson agree send in the best photo and a short write up to the local free news papers - they will probably give your group, the Hudson and the NHC a plug!

Try and make sure there is a back door open as the smell of the boil wafts inside it is sure to lure the macro drinkers out for a look!! Then they are hooked!

Good luck and well done!!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

sub82

Thanks Matthew - yep we washed it and have a few bottles, do you think it was 001 then? Did you have any 007? Just wondering for our recipe book!

Good stuff Will - yeah we'll definitely look into that. There's a blues festival on at the same time as us and think the Hudson also does a busy lunch sitting anyway, so should be plenty of people about!

matthewdick23

hmmmm not sure then about the yeast. will need to check and see

matthewdick23

Chris, do I remember Moira saying you guys had some glass jar things you were looking rid of? what volume are they?

matthewdick23

Bazza

Hi Matthew,

I can cover both the NB and the Cascade.

The NB is 7.74%
The Cascade is 5.9%

Yep; see you Wednesday with the hlt. Just need you to text your address.

I see some talk about yeast here. Have we decided what yeasts to use for each? I was initially thinking of US-05 for mine, which would suit this type of brew, but maybe that's being a little 'safe'? (Replace 'safe' with 'lazy')

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

yeah, i think use whichever yeast you like- itll b interesting to sample the same beer with 3 different yeasts

sub82

matthew - yeah we've 1L Ikea swing top bottles that we've no longer any use for (they're clear - so we stopped using them for beer), however they've come in handy for making fruit liquers. There's probably around 6 if you or anyone wants them.

Recipe looks good! I can bring 5.5kg malt if you're doing amber and hops, and barry's doing the remaining hops. How does that sound?

Re yeast - we've a jar of belgian WLP550 which we can use for the beer. The yeast comparison should be really interesting - we made a stout over easter and used different yeasts so that'll hopefully be ready for the next meet.