• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:49:30 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Brewday Hudson 20th April. What to make?

Started by matthewdick23, April 03, 2013, 10:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewdick23

sweet! sounds good

yeah, if you want to cover the malt that's fine- i'm happy to contribute some, though. have had it for a while and should prob use it. happy for you to decide thought- easy enough either way

we've got some guys to come film the day- crazy!?

matthewdick23

Bazza

I made a starter last night with the WLP007 you kindly gave me, Matthew. Never used it before so am interested to see it in action, plus it seems to suit Saturday's IPA-type brew.

Didn't see much activity in the demijohn this morning but maybe all the magic happened while I slept. I'll leave it another day or so and check the FG to see if it did ferment out. If it seems fine I'll pitch that. If not, I'll just drop in the sachet of US-05.

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

matthewdick23

good stuff- if it was done in glass, you should be able to see a ring on the glass along the top of the liquid where the fermentation was. (if that makes sense)

Bazza

Funny, but I get that ring you speak of when fermenting a full brew okay, but it rarely happens with starters. I think it's because the surface area of the demijohn is very wide for a 1L brew and the krausen doesn't climb very high or stay up for any length of time.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Yep no problem - I've 2 in a bag for you.

Sure I'll cover the malt. Where did you get the people to film it from?! That's class!

Are we going to bring some homebrew samples too?

sub82

sub82

If you need a lift from the station let us know and we should be able to sort something.

iain_todd

Lookin' forward to this. Sounds good already, lads. Can't believe we're starting so early! Some wings for lunch might be a good call....
"I was in a bar in Dublin, and it had one of those coasters and it said, 'Drink Canada Dry', so I thought I'd give it a shot" - Brendan Behan

matthewdick23

no idea about the shuttle- but, aye- not too far a walk

wings sound good!

matthewdick23

I had paid for one ages ago, but it got stolen at the comp. not sure what's happening wit that?!

matthewdick23

do we have any homebrew to bring tomorrow? I'm pretty low- but would be good to maybe have some to let people taste

sub82

If you can get on and off at Great Victoria Street, it's a bit closer to the Hudson. Otherwise there should be plenty of buses passing the station into town. The walk from Central should be 20 minutes max.

Thanks but we got t-shirts when we were down at the competition.

Definitely get the wings on the go!

Yeah we've a smokey porter and an IPA, one bottle of each. Also have a bottle from Moira's brother that came second in a Glasgow competition and is now being brewed by Fyne ales.

matthewdick23

sweet, sounds good.

I'll dig out my 'cellared' beers (think cupboard in my parents so I don't randomly drink them) and see if there's any worth bringing

Bazza

Don't think I'll manage to bring any beer since it's mostly in cornys these days.

I might, however, bring a sample of one of my brews down so one of you guys can tell me if it's infected or not (that's how generous a guy I am :)  )

It's my second attempt in a row of London Pride that seems to have gone wrong (same recipe but different yeasts yet same result), leaving a very bitter tart taste. I've had out and out very obviously infected brews before, but this is different.

Thought it might be to do with over-hopping, but don't think it's that anymore.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx