• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 06:02:10 AM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

March/April meet in Spoons - please vote

Started by Bazza, March 13, 2015, 03:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bazza

You will know me by my aura  O0

I'm hoping to be there for 8, so just head for the upstairs bar where they've promised to reserve a couple of tables. I've been told I look a cross between Michael Schumacher and Steve Davis  :-X

Failing that, just look out for a handful of nervous looking lads with rattling backbacks.

Cheers,

-Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

Roo

Gutted. Can't make it tonight. Somethings just come up. Really looking forward to it too since the train allows me to get pie eyed. Sorry lads. Enjoy!
Life moves pretty fast.....if you don't stop and look around once in a while....you could miss it.

banjobrew

Aw no lads I can't make it either. Not feeling the best. Next time!
Belfast Homebrewers.

Bazza

At the upstairs bar now. long table between the thin white pillars.

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Good wee night! Great standard of beers on show and good to catch up.

Very impressed with 'spoons - great to see a "reserved for the brewing club" sign on the table!

:)

Quiet_Man

Yes, great to catch up with you folks, and again - impressed with 'spoons. Thanks for organising Barry.

Thanks for collecting my medal, Chris. Still wearing it with pride!

"great to see a "reserved for the brewing club" sign on the table" - yes, it came in very handy when my Suspect Device went a gushing! Safely defused the other bottle when I got home. Think there is a couple in the garage I better clear as well - then get brewing some new stock!

Will, great to meet you and thanks for bringing your beers. Hope you got something positive out of the feedback.

Beer of the night - my vote is for Chris's Saison.

....and don't forget to enjoy some extreme homebrewing with BEERGOTTEN Mikkeller w/ Mastodon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO5CuavLZNA

Bazza

Yep. To second Chris and Andy, was a good wee night. I think 'intimate' would best describe the turnout, but suffered none the more for it.

Will, good you could make it along. For a fledgling all-grainier you're heading in the right direction.

+1 for Chris's saison. Amazing stuff. Was not joking when I said it tasted better than one I'd bought recently in the Vineyard.

Again, credit to Spoons for their hospitality. When I first went in and said about the club meet, I actually saw some look in a 'book' and say 'ah, yes', as opposed to the old days of the blank stares from hipster bar staff  :)

Cheers,

-Barry
― Groucho Marx

Will

Cheers lads for the feedback. ill hopefully have a pale ale to bring along to the next meet.

Chris Saison was great stuff and I wasn't up all night from the coffee porter lol

sub82

Ah thanks for the feedback lads! Really appreciated!

Will hoke out the recipe later and post it up.

Quiet_Man

Must have been my brisk 30 min walk that stirred up the beers last night! Checked the remaining bottles tonight and all's well. Having to drink them now they are opened. It's a labour of love..........

Of course, I'm still wearing my medal!

Bazza

haha. class.

It's the new Jim'll Fix it badge  :)

-Barry

― Groucho Marx

sub82

April 11, 2015, 07:35:44 AM #56 Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:50:47 AM by sub82
 ;D

Here's the saison recipe:

3.5kg Maris Otter
1.5kg Munich
0.5kg Wheat Malt
0.5kg Oats

1/2 tsp Burton Water Crystals

Mash 1 hour 66oC

60 min boil
60g Bobek 2011 (AA 5.19%) 60mins
40g Bobek 2011 (AA 5.19%) 15mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15mins
40g Bobek 2011 (AA 5.19%) 2mins

Yeast: 1 pack Mangrove Jacks M27 Belgian Ale Yeast

OG 1058
FG 1000

Ferment
24oC for 3 days (immersion heater)
28oC for 2 days (brew belt)
30oC for 3 weeks (brew belt and fermenter wrapped in a towel!)

Bottles were at their best after 3 months.

redshift

I'd love to get along to one of these some night, unfortunately Thursdays are a definite no go for me and Wednesdays aren't great either  :(
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...