• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 28, 2024, 07:14:48 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Beer Off-Flavours Tasting Panel

Started by Quiet_Man, April 12, 2015, 09:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew

Just got 2 Aroxa kits today- they are capsules rather than liquids. No sign of an expiry date on any of the packaging.
Andrew
@beoirfinder

Quiet_Man

I also went for the Aroxa kit.

There is a use by date on the lid of the capsule box.

Ours says 16 June 2016.

Quiet_Man

Sooooooo.......

The kit covers 10 flavours / taints:

Diacetyl, DMS, Metallic, Hop Oil, H2S, Isoamyl acetate, Lightstruck, Papery, Musty, Phenolic.

They are dry powders in capsule, that you dissolve into 1 Litre of beer, with a Use by date of June 2016.

I guess we need to decide doing it all in one go (better suited to a Saturday), or splitting it over two nights (say one meet this side of the summer, with a second meet in the Autumn?).

So for those on the list........what is your preference?

1. Quiet_Man
2. sub82
3. Will
4. Ciaran
5. Bazza
6 Shane
7 Banjobrew
8 Redshift
9 Robotmonkey

To everyone else.......the kit is suited for a maximum of 10 people, so if you want to take part, there is only 1 place left on a first come basis.

redshift

Unfortunately I work unsociable hours during the week so I could only do a Saturday myself.
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have another drink...

Will_D

I can assure you all that 100ml of doctored beer is more than enough!

So you could easily get 20 samples (50ml) as you probably only need to smell most of these and one sip is more than enough!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

Quiet_Man

Cheers Will_D.

Think Bazza would be hiring in EventSec for crowd control if we got 10+ at a club meet!

banjobrew

To be honest the way my shift pattern works it's like a game of battleship trying to plan anything but I have most weekends free and rarely work later than 8.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Quiet_Man

Bumping this as only two replies to date....... >:(

"I guess we need to decide doing it all in one go (better suited to a Saturday), or splitting it over two nights (say one meet this side of the summer, with a second meet in the Autumn?)".

So for those on the list........what is your preference?

1. Quiet_Man - Pref 2 x mid-week evenings
2. sub82
3. Will
4. Ciaran
5. Bazza
6 Shane
7 Banjobrew - Pref Sat
8 Redshift - Pref Sat
9 Robotmonkey

To everyone else.......the kit is suited for a maximum of 10 people, so if you want to take part, there is only 1 place left on a first come basis.

Will

End of June onwards works best for me but I'm happy to go with the consensus!

Two meets could work - ensures those who miss the first can pop along to the second. 

Ciaran

May 29, 2015, 03:59:18 PM #39 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:22:43 AM by Ciaran
From my point of view in June I can't do 19th or 27th but any other dates are fine.  Reading back down through the thread it can be done in 3 hours but that might be more of a punishment than if it was split it over two days.  At least then you could spend an hour or so actually enjoying a decent beer or two to thank spoons for letting us use the space for 3 hours.

Paddy

Hey folks.

Sorry I've been off the radar recently.

Any spaces left? If so I'd be keen on it.

banjobrew

Free 13th, 20th, 27th June. Away on holiday after that so next is 18th July. All Saturday's. Free any other night bar Wednesdays and Thursday's.

There's only 9/10 of us so no point in a poll.
Belfast Homebrewers.

Quiet_Man

No worries Paddy....I've added you on.

1. Quiet_Man - Pref 2 x mid-week evenings
2. sub82
3. Will - Pref End June, 2 x sessions
4. Ciaran - Pref 2 x sessions
5. Bazza
6 Shane
7 Banjobrew - Pref Sat
8 Redshift - Pref Sat
9 Robotmonkey
10 Paddy

From the replies to date, there is no overwhelming preference. Grateful if the others could input.

Would like to tie down a date and suitable venue in the next few days, but looking like towards the end of June, early July.

Bazza

I'd prefer 2 midweek sessions. Weekends are at a premium from now till September.

No pref on dates but agree before end of June would be best.

Cheers,

- Barry
Whatever it is, I'm against it.
― Groucho Marx

sub82

Midweek would probably suit me best too. Thursdays being the best but I'm going to be difficult and say I won't be able to do 15th to the 26th.  :-[ Sorry lads.