• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 27, 2024, 04:22:21 PM

News:

Renewing ? Its fast and easy - just pay here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Kegging Q & A

Started by cruiscinlan, April 23, 2015, 10:59:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

I've been resisting for half the thread. Be strong! :)
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

cruiscinlan

January 12, 2016, 06:53:04 PM #136 Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:56:44 AM by cruiscinlan
Quote from: molc on January 12, 2016, 05:58:36 PM
I've been resisting for half the thread. Be strong! :)

Molc you and CH are an example to us all and remind me of the legendary forebearance of St. Proclus of Constantinople when confronting the Nestorian heretics  :P.

On a more serious note, I'm having serious issues with foaming.  Set up at the moment is 50:50 mixed gas and 1metre 3/8" line to picnic tap (a bit rough and ready I know).

Current procedure is A) Vent keg. B) Allow the smallest amount of gas possible through the reg, as in a quarter turn on of the tap, to give maybe 0.5 or 1 bar of pressure, then off.

I also tried just attaching the beer out line and no gas to allow the pressure in the keg to dispense.

No joy in either scenario.  :'(

auralabuse

Try storing your picnic tap and line inside the keezer. See if it's the warmth of the line causing it

molc

Don't think he's running a keezer. Room temperature beer is a foamy beast. Restrictor on the tap and a long line are your only choice, but co2 will come out of solution in the line when its warm and give you foam.

Chris

Quote from: cruiscinlan on January 12, 2016, 06:53:04 PM

On a more serious note, I'm having serious issues with foaming.  Set up at the moment is 50:50 mixed gas and 1metre 3/8" line to picnic tap (a bit rough and ready I know

Longer line fixed my problems I use 3metres
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack

Leann ull

Picnic tap can't handle pressures from a mixed gas  :(

Pheeel

On a more serious note, I'm having serious issues with foaming.  Set up at the moment is 50:50 mixed gas and 1metre 3/8" line to picnic tap (a bit rough and ready I know

Yep. I went with 10ft/3 metres and the only foaming issue was with an massively overcarbed keg. Normally carbed kegs work a treat!
Issues with your membership? PM me!

Leann ull

Here's a pic that I got off twitter from US Homebrewer and a pause for thought.
He performed a water test on an old tank over what the tank was rated for so bear this in mind when you are going to people that don't regularly fill tanks

molc

Quote from: Pheeel on January 14, 2016, 11:41:43 AM

Yep. I went with 10ft/3 metres and the only foaming issue was with an massively overcarbed keg. Normally carbed kegs work a treat!
Sounds about right. I'm running 1.2M 5/16" OD line for 12 PSI @ 5C and I get just the right level of head and about 1PSI at the tap head, assuming the maths is correct :)

Now, using a calculator and assuming the same PSI and temp, with 3/8" line and a picnic tap, we need 16M of line to get the same serving pressure. If your temp goes up, the PSI will also have to be higher to keep the same level of CO2 solution, so it quite quickly becomes a pita.

Here's the calculator: http://www.calczilla.com/brewing/keg-line-balancing/

Will_D

Quote from: molc on January 14, 2016, 12:17:46 PM

Now, using a calculator and assuming the same PSI and temp, with 3/8" line and a picnic tap, we need 16M of line to get the same serving pressure. If your temp goes up, the PSI will also have to be higher to keep the same level of CO2 solution, so it quite quickly becomes a pita.

Here's the calculator: http://www.calczilla.com/brewing/keg-line-balancing/
Priceless links like this should have a one topic, locked sticky at top of this forum!
Remember: The Nationals are just round the corner - time to get brewing

cruiscinlan

Quote from: CH on January 14, 2016, 11:41:10 AM
Picnic tap can't handle pressures from a mixed gas  :(

molc, Chris & auralabuse cheers for suggestions.  I'll put the keg outside again and try it again with a longer line.  Soon as I can get my 3/16 line onto the barb and tap  :(

CH once your reg is reducing your output pressure though why would it make a difference?  And of course mixed gas is supposed to reduce FOB.

Chris

Let us know how you get on
Primary: Back to Black Again (Michael Jackson stout)
Secondary:
Conditioning:  Breac Donn Imperial Amber Ale
Drinking: Cascade Reaction Amber Ale, Fear Gorm Irish stout, lonesome pilgrim pale ale
Planned: imperial stout, finlandia kit hack