• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
April 29, 2024, 03:59:15 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Converting 200L SS Jacketed milk tank to boil kettle

Started by Yenren, May 28, 2015, 03:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yenren

Hi guys I recently acquired this 200L SS Jacketed milk tank (I think) and I want to turn it into a boil kettle. I am trying to figure out the best way to supply heat, I dont think steam is the way to go too fiddely!
I have a 64kw burner to supply heat I'm pretty sure that should do it. I also might try a rocket stove just for the hell of it + its cheap to run.
I think i will have to cut a hole in the bottom to get the heat to the inside but i would also like to be able to seal that hole so I could run cold water through the jacket to cool the wort.
I would appreciate any input and alternative ideas, heres some pics, thanks

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us

Yenren

Quote from: DEMPSEY on May 28, 2015, 04:40:40 PM
What was its original use :-\
I am not sure the guy I got it from got it from a scrap yard 20 years ago so not sure

Quote from: armedcor on May 28, 2015, 04:51:03 PM
Wouldnt consider going electric?
I would rather go gas or rocket stove for now at least.

Quote from: mrmeindl on May 28, 2015, 06:07:17 PM
Do you know anyone who could weld it for you? You could cut a window on the outer jacket then drill a hole for an element then weld a flange or something to seal the jacket so you'd still be able to chill using the jacket. There would be some potential sketchiness with any leftover water in the jacket boiling and filling with steam unless you put a hole in the top as a pressure relief just in case.
Quote from: mrmeindl on May 28, 2015, 06:26:07 PM
And are you sure the jacket covers the bottom??

It is fully covered it has two threaded holes in the bottom and one pokey outy threaded hole near the top

johnrm

Damien M

There looks to be dead space below the Drain valve as still inside the jacket where you could mount an electric element to heat the jacket and thus give you a very uniform heat to the contents... however as you wish to used it as a boiler i.e 100degC the liquid in the jacket should have a higher boiling point otherwise you will need a vent and a constant top up....... Or run a recirc loop from the jacket to and external heating coil/gas burner/boiler that feeds the loop. and perhaps over complex

Having said all of the above you should consider the original design/use of this vessel and it looks like a Milk Cooling vessel and probabally not rated for 100 degC, even if old and over engineered. It won't last long if you convert to to a 100degC vessel. At most I would recommend that you use it as your mash tun described above but at lower temperatures and for shorter periods. Step mashes would be a doddle.

Yenren

Quote from: Damien M on May 29, 2015, 09:15:47 AM
There looks to be dead space below the Drain valve as still inside the jacket where you could mount an electric element to heat the jacket and thus give you a very uniform heat to the contents... however as you wish to used it as a boiler i.e 100degC the liquid in the jacket should have a higher boiling point otherwise you will need a vent and a constant top up....... Or run a recirc loop from the jacket to and external heating coil/gas burner/boiler that feeds the loop. and perhaps over complex

Having said all of the above you should consider the original design/use of this vessel and it looks like a Milk Cooling vessel and probabally not rated for 100 degC, even if old and over engineered. It won't last long if you convert to to a 100degC vessel. At most I would recommend that you use it as your mash tun described above but at lower temperatures and for shorter periods. Step mashes would be a doddle.

I want to keep it as simple as possible, The space inside the jacket is probably 20 or so liters (a guess, I will know Saturday when I get it home) I wonder if it is filled with water and heated from below would there be enough heat transfer to boil the wort, there is a hole to vent the steam at the top, there's scope for topping up with boiling water if needs be. as for not being rated for 100degC she is a sturdy auld yolk and feck it sure we'ill drive her till she falls apart!

Quote from: johnrm on May 28, 2015, 09:47:55 PM
You're a gas man Yenren!
Aye I'm a bit Noble alright!

johnrm

Yenren

Quote from: Yenren on May 29, 2015, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: Damien M on May 29, 2015, 09:15:47 AM

Having said all of the above you should consider the original design/use of this vessel and it looks like a Milk Cooling vessel and probabally not rated for 100 degC, even if old and over engineered. It won't last long if you convert to to a 100degC vessel.
Update: I got her home and have found out that she use to be a steam jacketed kettle, Woop Woop
https://my.vulcanfeg.com/resourcecenter/vulcanwolfberkel/ProductDocumentation/F30804s.pdf
Now I don't think she is fit to have pressurized steam running through her. I reckon a piped hot water system will work http://www.pickheaters.com/hot_water_for_jacketed_heating.cfm but first I am gona try filling the jacket with water and heating from the bottom and see how it gets on

johnrm

That's cool that you found the document for it.
What batch sizes are you aiming for?

Yenren

It depends on what sort of fermenters I get, currently the fermentation chamber holds 4 30L buckets this will have to be ungraded. I usually only get round to brewing once every 3 weeks or a month, so I will aim to keep the house supplied we are all fond of a few bottles of an evening and when we go on the tare, look out!
Any ideas for upcycleable fermenters in the 150-200L range? It would be cool  to have whole system made from recycled material where possible.

DEMPSEY

Dei miscendarum discipulus
Forgive us our Hangovers as we forgive those who hangover against us