• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 10:13:40 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Bottle Conditioning - how do you do it?

Started by oinkely, April 14, 2015, 04:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pob

Quote from: Basil on December 08, 2020, 10:04:04 PMBottled it 5 days ago

Being in a room at 18-20C.

Bottles are squidgy (tops are tight, all new and everything sterilised).

The beer was pretty clear after finishing, some sediment in the bottom of the bottles (inverted once a day).

As Partridge said, leave it for another 10 days, the bottles will firm out as they carbonate; the room may actually be quite a bit cooler at night time, so may take a bit longer to carb up properly.

Don't invert, leave the yeast do it's thing (you don't want to oxidise it); likewise don't open at this stage, there will be enough yeast left to carbonate it.

Just give it time - even though it'll be carbonated after the 2 weeks, give it another week or two to fully condition before drinking.

Don't rush beers, they are happier when they're left alone for a bit.

Basil

All good thanks - My memory isn't great stretching back 40 years to the last time I bottled anything - I seemed to remember days rather than weeks, must stop panicking  ???  ;D !  It's Coopers ox-bar bottles I'm using now so I can see and feel when they are carbed. 
Also a good point about the temp. in the room, SWMO said it's quite cool in that room in the mornings so the temp. is probably below 18 for 12-15 hours a day.  I'll give it a couple of weeks :)

pob

Better stick another brew on now, it'll be ready by the time you get to the end of this batch.

Basil

Quote from: pob on December 09, 2020, 03:16:46 PMBetter stick another brew on now, it'll be ready by the time you get to the end of this batch.
already started last night, the craft IPA kit.  To be followed by craft lager or Woodfordes Nelsons Revenge....yes I went mad with the online order!

Basil

Update: I squeeze one every day and it's getting harder :o
Friday is my d-day to move it to a cooler place, should be well carbonated by then. Also coincides with the estimated date for barrelling my IPA :) I have another fermentation bucket, now tempted to prep and start another lager (or the Nelsons revenge) ready for New Year as I estimate the bitter will run dry just after Christmas (I'm trying to conserve it until the son-in-law comes over to help consume it but not succeeding very well)

LordEoin

Conservation is for the weak.
I think you need additional quality deepdiving and robust stress testing.

Basil

Quote from: LordEoin on December 14, 2020, 02:28:29 PMConservation is for the weak.
I think you need additional quality deepdiving and robust stress testing.
I like your strategy.  As an ex-submariner, I acknowledge the value of pressure testing before a first dive, but you need to go deeper and immerse totally until supplies are exhausted 🤪

Partridge9

pob

Have you another brew on atm?
Store it the same place you brew in.

Only needs ~18°C to carb.

Keep it in the 20°C room, throw a spare blanket, duvet over them or use a cooler box, box with foam insulation.