• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 08:51:52 AM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

Looking for some hops to plant

Started by Cathy, December 07, 2020, 07:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathy

Hi all, I started brewing early this year - going well so far! I've been using ingredient kits but now I'd like to grow some hops of my own. From what I've read Prima Donna rhizomes can be planted this time of year in Ireland. Does anyone know where I can get some? I'm based in Cork.

Water_Wolf

Hi Cathy, I have some First Gold (Prima Donna) and a Centennial plant growing in pots here in Dublin. I usually pull them out during winter time and remove a lot of rhizomes and roots so that there is space in the pots to grow again during the summer. So you're welcome to as many rhizomes as you like if there's a way to get them to you!

Green shed brews

Hi water wolf, could I get some rhizomes from you? I'm based in swords. Do they spread if planted straight into a flower bed so best kept in pots ?

Water_Wolf

Hi there, I'll probably be digging them up next weekend so you can certainly have some (assuming there are lots of rhizomes which seems likely!) I'll send out a PM with more details soon.

I grow mine in pots because it's a rental property! They should do better in the ground. I would imagine if they grow unchecked they would spread around from the base plant a bit but I don't think it's a major issue. They're all female plants so there will never be any seeds.

Green shed brews

Thanks for getting back to me, that sounds great let me know when you have a few and take it from there.

cromac

Hi there, I don't suppose you have any of the rhizomes still? Based in Ashtown.

Water_Wolf

No, I have no more rhizomes at the moment, but I may have some plants grown from rooted bines later in the year.

cromac

Thanks, I guessed I was a little late. If you have surplus plants, I'll give them a happy home ;D