• Welcome to National Homebrew Club Ireland. Please login or sign up.
March 28, 2024, 01:19:36 PM

News:

Want to Join up ? Simply follow the instructions here
Not a forum user? Now you can join the discussion on Discord

The Great Irish Kveik Off

Started by fishjam45 (Colin), April 09, 2019, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

molc

Quote from: Water_Wolf on June 21, 2019, 10:37:28 AM
I was planning on doing one trial batch beforehand so I have a rough idea of what I'm dealing with (never used a kveik yeast before). What kind of 'tweaking' are you finding is effecting the yeast? Is it all temperature or is there more to it?
Honestly, I'm still trying to figure that part out. I've managed to make a savoury fruity beer with my first attempt and some hot alcohols with my second. Haven't got a handle on it at all yet alas.
Fermenting: IPA, Lambic, Mead
Conditioning: Lambic, Cider, RIS, Ole Ale, Saison
On Tap: IPA, Helles, Best Bitter

robotmonkey

I did a test with kveik lager that turned....ok. Biggest problem I had was with bottle carbonation, I'm not sure if it needs to be conditioned at a higher temperature. I take it adding a bit of US-05 for bottling would be breaking the rules?

TheSumOfAllBeers

I have heard that some kveik strains have lost the ability to get make nutrition from the wort - centuries of brewing in high gravity wort means that they struggle to get what they need from more more sessionable gravities.

If you are trying to make a Kveik session IPA or Kveik mild, you might hit this problem and encounter yeast stress/underpitching kind of problems. Adding yeast nutrients might sort this out.

fishjam45 (Colin)

I've brewed a couple of times with kveiks now and I've found good results fermenting at 35 degrees and doubling the amount of yeast nutrient you would normally add.
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

helmet

Quote from: fishjam45 (Colin) on June 21, 2019, 07:10:36 PM
I've brewed a couple of times with kveiks now and I've found good results fermenting at 35 degrees and doubling the amount of yeast nutrient you would normally add.
Have you bottle conditioned using Kviek? I've read fairly varying reports.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

fishjam45 (Colin)

No I haven't.
We must have read the same reports  ;)
Garden County Brewers

https://gcbrewers.wordpress.com/

JohnnyJohnJohns

Quote from: helmet on June 21, 2019, 09:23:50 PM
Quote from: fishjam45 (Colin) on June 21, 2019, 07:10:36 PM
Have you bottle conditioned using Kviek? I've read fairly varying reports.

Sent from my SM-A505FN using Tapatalk

I've bottle conditioned a few and found it to be fairly sluggish. If you can bottle condition at a higher temp and give the bottles an occasional shake it seems to speed things along. In my experience it takes about 3 weeks so if you want something sooner I'd cold crash and bottle with CBC-1 for more reliable results.

JohnnyJohnJohns

As a note the flocculation seems to impact bottle conditioning the most. Above I was talking about Hornindal which drops clear a couple of days after fermentation but Ebbegarden that stays hazy will bottle condition in about a week.

Thewicklowhopscompany

Hi just so everyone knows, the yeast strain in question has the commercial name Odin (Arset). It is available on the HBC, Malt Miller and our own website as of Monday (www.whclab.com).

Cheers,
Philip

Donny

Is this full? Entree is closed  :(

Water_Wolf

Quote from: fishjam45 (Colin) on April 26, 2019, 02:12:02 PM
We've hit the 48 entries mark folks so we are going to have to stop accepting entries now.

Thanks again to all those who have entered!

CH

Folks we will start with Philips help to scale up your yeasts for distribution and get to you by either direct or postal delivery.
We will be in touch in the coming weeks by email you registered with just to make sure you are around to receive it and not on hols.

Jonnycheech

Great. Ya reckon it'll distributed by 23rd July? Have a brew day planned for the 24th  ;)
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019

Simon_

Quote from: Jonnycheech on July 10, 2019, 07:02:51 AM
Have a brew day planned for the 24th  ;)
That's impressive scheduling.

Jonnycheech

Quote from: Simon_ on July 10, 2019, 10:08:11 AM
Quote from: Jonnycheech on July 10, 2019, 07:02:51 AM
Have a brew day planned for the 24th  ;)
That's impressive scheduling.

It's the only way to ensure life doesn't get in the way of brewing!
Tapped: FES, NEIPA, CocoIMS, Flanders 2018, Passion Fruit/Peach BW
Fermentors: Raspberry Wheat, Session IPA
Bottled: Cherry Lambic 2019